Whoops! Freedom Industries Spills More MCHM

FreedomIndustries

Local officials say that none of the MCHM released in this latest incident reached the Elk River, but that’s not very reassuring. The manner in which this incident occurred is also not reassuring.

According to Dorsey, the incident occurred when cleanup crews from Diversified Services, a contractor for Freedom Industries, were using an excavator to enlarge the cutoff trench. He said they hit an underground pipe they didn’t know was there.

It’s not exactly clear what the pipe is for, and apparently it isn’t marked on plans of the site, Dorsey said.

“It’s kind of like a lot of the piping up there,” Dorsey said. “It’s got some groundwater in it. We don’t know where it is coming from.”

“It’s kind of like a lot of the piping up there.”

picard_riker_double_facepalm

There’s Crude MCHM in the pipes. They didn’t know the pipes were there. There’s groundwater in the pipes. They don’t know where the pipes or the groundwater comes from.

In short, they don’t know jack shit.

I’m sure the situation is entirely under control and there’s nothing for anyone to worry about.

This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.livingenergy.abmp.com/ KanaW

    Great. Like Westworld, where Nothing can Possibly go Worng.

  • RickInSaltLake

    And why would we ever need the EPA? Or any oversight, watchdog-kind of guv’mint interference for that matter?

      Clearly there’s too much oversight already, as the poor, beleaguered Job Creators were too busy dealing with unGodly EPA mandates and Librul Communofascist Labor laws to have time to create a schematic of the job site.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Some Republican politician, no doubt more than one, will make that exact argument and be serious about it.

  • muselet

    Diversified Services started running an excavator before they knew anything about the site they were digging on, and Freedom Industries didn’t—or perhaps couldn’t—provide an accurate site map.

    Professional. Very professional.

      One would think that companies this incompetent should never, ever be allowed near hazardous or even semi-hazardous chemicals. Sounds like licensing and certification for the people who manage those sites needs to be revoked so they never, ever work in any field where they can hurt people like this again.

  • Christopher Foxx

    The folks behind this, those responsible for getting the extent figured out and the mess cleaned up aren’t going to do jack shit without proper motivation. So: They have to drink 2 liters from the nearby river each day.

  • Kitty Smith

    Oh jesus. *seriously*?

    Of course the solution is going to be even LESS regulation and watching. After all, if we don’t know about it, it can’t hurt us!