Between Two Urns

Between Two Ferns

Artist – Adam Zyglis

According to court documents, Wells Fargo, the nation’s largest mortgage servicer, put in place a system for falsifying or forging documents if the real documents could not be located during foreclosure proceedings.

There’s a special place in hell for any attorney that would forge documents to take someone’s home away from them.

    From the link:

    Those rapid sales and re-sales of mortgages from one company to another to a third lead to millions of mortgage transfers that lack the proper paperwork and are therefore legally unenforceable.

    In a proper world, that would mean the homeowners no longer have a mortgage. That the banks are our the loan, rather than the borrower being out a house.

    UPDATE: Come to think of it, why isn’t it that way even in this screwed up world? How does “legally unenforceable” end up being enforced?

    • JMAshby

      Read about robosigning and small court rooms where foreclosures were basically rubberstamped by a judge because there was no legal opposition from defendants who, in some cases, didn’t even know they were being foreclosed on or they couldn’t just summon an attorney at a moment’s notice or they can’t afford one.

      And prepare a drink while you’re at it.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Yeah, I’ve read those stories. Special places in hell indeed.

        This is the perfect example of how our system is biased towards individuals and corporations who have money. Most of the best examples can be found in Criminal Law but this is a great example of how Civil Law screws the little guy.