Catch Them While They’re Young

When I was a kid we went on field trips to museums or the actor’s theater. Kids in Pueblo County, Colorado are going on field trips to a god damn shooting range.

A Pueblo County, Colo. middle school sent a group of students this week on a field trip to a firing range, television station KRDO reported. [...]

A non-profit called Appleseed, an organization dedicated to teaching “rifle marksmanship and our early American heritage,” was also involved in the outing.

“We’ve never been allowed to bring actual real firearms into a school,” Appleseed’s Elizabeth Blackwood told KRDO. “Until this week. This is a very big deal. We had them touching fire arms, holding them, and learning about how to handle them safely.”

Surprisingly, or perhaps not surprisingly, parents OK’d the field trip to the shooting range where kids learned how to shoot and then learned about the revolutionary war. The latter portion of this adventure seems to be the only thing that justifies doing it during school hours, however I don’t know what kids could learn about the revolutionary war at a shooting range that they couldn’t learn inside a classroom without the presence of guns.

If these kids grow up getting the wrong ideas, don’t say we didn’t warn you.

This entry was posted in Education, Guns and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    I wonder how many of the same parents are opposed to sex education in schools.

    • muselet

      Close to 100% is my guess.

      –alopecia

  • Ipecac

    In F’ing Colorado?!? The home of the school shooting?

    Won’t it be delightful when some student shoots up a school having practiced on a field trip.

  • Christopher Foxx

    My local High School had a rifle club. It was another student activity/organization like the football team or chess club. Like those it tended to have its activities after school, not during classroom hours, but it was clearly something connected with the school.

    I can see where a field trip to a rifle range, provided the trip has relevant educational content, could see where it could be used as part of a discussion on American History, Civics, etc.

    Although Pueblo tends to be a Democratic area, I don’t expect that’s what’s happening here. I expect it’s more like taking the kids on a “field trip” to see the ThunderWolves play just to give them a fun thing to do, and maybe in hopes they’ll become fans.

    But I want to make the point that a trip to the rifle range isn’t an intrinsically bad thing. It could be used to teach kids proper respect for firearms and give us more adults who, if they choose to own a gun, are more responsible gun owners of the type who do actually support rational controls.

  • mrbrink

    Right wing terrorists in training.

    The Gadsden Flag Academy of Fear and Glorified Ignorance.

    Awesome. Now I must die a little inside.

    Whoever said “teach the children well” should probably buy a bulletproof vest.

  • LeShan Jones

    “parents OK’d the field trip to the shooting range where kids learned how to shoot and then learned about the revolutionary war…”
    Because when they rise up against the evil tyrannical government, the fighting will be just like the Revolution…it wont be a repeat of the Civil War where the rebels got their asses handed to them…in fact we’re certain the Army will side with the rebels because…uh…FREEDOM!!!!!!!

  • jmark80

    What a slanted and irrational article.

    Firearm safety has been taught to children for years in schools and in youth organizations such as the Boy Scouts. Gun violence is steadily declining, and has for 20 years. This entire piece smacks of hoplophobia.