Climate Change Study Spells Doom, GOP Says Studies Are Bad

NOAAA new report on climate change from the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) predicts that the world will face a ‘break down of food systems’ in the future as well as conflict over water supplies. Meanwhile, here at home in America, House Republicans are moving to micromanage the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and legislate its priorities for them.

The House will vote this week on a bill introduced by Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK) last Summer.

Members will consider the Weather Forecasting Improvement Act, H.R. 2413, as early as Tuesday. [...]

Last year, Bridenstine released a statement saying the intent of the bill is to “protect lives and property by shifting funds from climate change research to severe weather forecasting research.”

“The bill does not increase spending but rather shifts funding to make improved severe weather forecasting a higher priority of the Federal government,” he said in July.

House Republicans, none of whom are scientists, want to tell actual scientists what they should spend their time studying.

Notably, this new focus on forecasting tornadoes in the nation’s midsection would come at the cost of protecting citizens on the Gulf coast and eastern seaboard where climate change may be influencing Hurricanes and Nor’easters.

It’s not that people in Tornado Alley don’t deserve protection — they do — but I believe we should let NOAA decide how best to do that as climate change also affects tornadoes.

I certainly wouldn’t trust the Flying Monkey Caucus in the House to decide how to do that.

This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    Well, how special. Their policies lead to severe weather and out of the goodness of their scaly little hearts, they now want to improve forecasting these events. How about researching ways to reduce severe weather events or how to cope with the results of severe weather events?

    Bless their hearts.*

    *And by that I mean fuck off and die, everyone of them.

  • zirgar

    I take comfort in the GOP’s idiotic reaction to a climate change study that spells doom with the fact that most republicans can’t even spell the word “doom.”

  • Draxiar

    Yes! Let’s dictate how funds are spent so we don’t hear any bad news about the climate. If we ignore the problem it’ll go away, right?!

    Bravo Jim Bridenstein you know nothing ass tassel.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Hey, it worked when North Carolina made it illegal to include global warming data when estimating how the sea level is going to rise.

    AKA: “The Fuck the People, Protect the Food” Bill, brought to you by Archer-Daniels-Midland and Monsanto

  • D_C_Wilson

    If only we could tie global warming to Benghazi!!! The GOP would be all over that shit then.