Dan Snyder Attended the GOP School for Outreach

Snyder

Washington D.C. professional football team owner Dan Snyder has apparently concluded that establishing an outreach campaign with a racial slur in its title is a good way to bring people over to his side.

Snyder’s letter announced the creation of the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation, the result of a “listening tour” he conducted this fall by visiting 100 Native American tribes.

“The mission of the Original Americans Foundation is to provide meaningful and measurable resources that provide genuine opportunities for Tribal communities. With open arms and determined minds, we will work as partners to begin to tackle the troubling realities facing so many tribes across our country. Our efforts will address the urgent challenges plaguing Indian country based on what Tribal leaders tell us they need most. We may have created this new organization, but the direction of the Foundation is truly theirs,” Snyder wrote in the letter.

The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation.

Snyder says the real struggles of Native Americans have been ignored, implying that focus on the name of his team, which is a racial slur, is getting in the way of real progress.

The foundation will help native tribes fight poverty, Snyder says, but that will not include dropping a racial slur as his team’s name or even dropping a racial slur from the title of the foundation that will supposedly help them.

From my perspective this is not dissimilar to Paul Ryan spreading his anti-poverty message by condemning lazy “inner city” men, nor is it dissimilar to Rand Paul reaching out to African Americans by treating them like idiots.

Going to a reservation and telling the “redskins” that you’re going to help them is no different than if you went to a neighborhood in the projects and used racial slurs aimed at people of color to tell them you’re here to help.

This public relations campaign isn’t as shocking as it is pathetic. It was revealed last month than Dan Snyder hired infamous message hack Frank Luntz, former Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer, and George “Macaca” Allen to advise him.

“The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation” was undoubtedly focus tested, but probably not on Native Americans. He only wants to placate them with gifts while using his foundation to show white fans that he’s a sensitive guy.

This is utterly tone deaf and it reeks of desperation.

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Al Iriberri

    ‘Racial slut’ ? ;)

    • Toolymegapoopoo

      I’d like to meet this racial slut.

      Aww, man… I clicked over from Facebook to see who the racial slut was only to find out it’s a typo. :)

    • JMAshby

      sigh

        That sigh is worth a thousand words

  • muselet

    Why is it that when prominent people have PR problems, they go on “listening tours”? And why does the response to those listening tours never include changing the actual behavior that caused the PR problems in the first place?

    It was revealed last month than Dan Snyder hired infamous message hack Frank Luntz, former Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer, and George “Macaca” Allen to advise him.

    Meaning no more disrespect than usual to those three, but was David Duke unavailable?

      They always come off the listening tours talking about how they are going to patronizingly help whatever group they have been and will continue to be offending. They just don’t effing get it.

    • Christopher Foxx

      And why does the response to those listening tours never include changing the actual behavior that caused the PR problems in the first place?

      Indeed.

      “You say the name of my team is a racial slur, and you’d like me to change it? Well, let me go on a tour to find out what folks want me to do about that. OK, I’ve finished my tour and apparently the solution to folks not liking the team’s name is to not change it.”

  • mrwaturi

    Perhaps if he offered them beads, trinkets, muskets and firewater, that would placate the Redskins……I mean, Original Americans.

    • Lady Willpower

      But can he do the job?

      • mrwaturi

        I’m not arguing that with you!

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Meh, I say good for him. Somehow I can’t embunchen the undergarments over this. Yes, including the name in the title of the foundation is stupid, and the name should probably be changed and all that, but if he wants to help, let him help.

    The Washington NFL club will change its name the moment not changing starts to negatively effect its, and/or the NFL’s, bottom line, and not a moment before.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Yeah, that’s what it will come down to. Action will happen because it’s the economic thing to do, not because it’s the right thing to do.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “With open arms and determined minds, we will work as partners to begin to tackle the troubling realities facing so many tribes across our country. Our efforts will address the urgent challenges plaguing Indian country based on what Tribal leaders tell us they need most.”

    “And if we help tackle those troubling realities, we get to ignore the troubling reality that we keep calling you names, right?”

    Next up, realizing other groups also face troubling realities Snyder expands his outreach efforts and creates The Raghead Muslim Americans Foundation, The Kike Holocaust Museum and The Nigger American Historical Foundation.

  • Razor

    “Listening tour” is to rich assholes what “rehab” is to famous assholes.