GOP State Senator: The Market Shall Overcome

According to South Dakota state Senator Phil Jensen, the government has no business telling anyone they can’t discriminate because the invisible hand of the free market has a way of shutting that whole thing down.

“If someone was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and they were running a little bakery for instance, the majority of us would find it detestable that they refuse to serve blacks, and guess what? In a matter of weeks or so that business would shut down because no one is going to patronize them,” Jensen told the Rapid City Journal in a story that suggested he just might be the crimson red state’s “most conservative lawmaker.”

Actually, given that this is America, I suspect the market would not only affirm their position; it may launch them into superstardom.

Who knows? They may even hit the talk-show circuit, market their own brand of wine, and nab the naming rights to a bowl franchise.

When the CEO of Chick Fil A announced his opposition to same-sex marriage, bigots across the national eagerly patronized their local branch in the name of Freedumb.

Open discrimination against minority groups is not something we as a society should endorse or allow.

This entry was posted in Bigotry, LGBT, Racism and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    The thing is, he’s talking about discrimination based on race at a time when the vast majority of Americans now agree that such discrmination is wrong. Of cours today, if a business advertised that they refuse to serve blacks, they would be boycotted and probably driven out of business pretty quick. However, if such a business had done so at the height of the Jim Crow era, they would be lauded and patronized by massive numbers of whites. The movement for LGBT rights is more analogous to the period where Jim Crow was starting the decline. Most Americans might disapprove of discrmination against gays and lesbians today, but, as Chick-Fil-A proved, there are still plenty of bigots out there who proudly patronize a business that discrminates based on sexual orientation. Maybe in 20 years, public shaming could drive such a business under, but we aren’t there yet.

      Exactly right and well put. Back during the Chick-Fil-A thing, one of the guys at the office would stand up and loudly announce how he was going there for lunch to support them. No one really said anything (except the other conservatives who jumped right on the bandwagon). However, if it had been a restaurant that was well known for not serving blacks or hispanics, there would have been some serious push back.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        You should have told the asshat “Enjoy your Type 2 diabetes on a bun!”

          Oh believe me I want to every time he pulls a stunt like that. But I need my job and the boss who owns the company is even more conservative than the asshat. The boss can fire me at will–AZ is a right to work state meaning I have no right to work at all. And good luck trying to find work here in a smaller sized company where the boss isn’t a rich, usually religious and extremely conservative, man. I could try to work for someone big like American Express but they have their own set of crap to deal with. If I had my own druthers, I’d be my own boss and I would never hire the kind of person that would stand up and say they were going to Chick-Fil-A just to be an obnoxious douchecanoe.

    • muselet

      Public opinion is changing so quickly on LGBT issues, I doubt it will take 20 years. Ten, maybe.

      –alopecia

    • nathkatun7

      Racial discrimination in private clubs is still not illegal. Also, the 1964 Civil Rights Act exempted small boarding houses and restaurants that could legitimately show non-involvement in interstate trade.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I am sick to death of everyone racing to name the KKK in any hypothetical or analogy involving discrimination. At least this jackwagon used the KKK as the stand-in for the bigoted merchant, not the gay customer. Typically, people want to get you to agree that of course it’s OK to refuse to serve a Klansman, especially if you’re black or Jewish, so of course it should be OK to refuse to serve a gay customer, especially if you’re a Christian™.

    I’m even more sick to death of conversations about discrimination becoming a litany of increasingly-ridiculous counter-examples, in a deliberate attempt to play the victim-by-proxy and completely fail to understand what discrimination actually is and how anti-discrimination laws actually work.

    Three things we have to remember:

    1. Discrimination is legal if it is reasonable.
    2. Discrimination is illegal if it is unreasonable and causes economic harm.
    3. Discrimination on the basis of certain characteristics enumerated in law is presumptively unreasonable.

    Start from there.