How Low Can We Go?

picard_riker_double_facepalm

When I shared this cartoon last night, it was intended as a joke; I didn’t actually expect a news network to go there.

On Thursday night, HLN invited a psychic to discuss what she think may have been the fate of the lost airliner and the 239 souls that were on board that plane.

“I am all for wanting to believe in mysticism and psychics,” HLN host Jenny Hutt began, “but I’m, eh, I don’t know.”

I don’t know if I believe in this but, uh, my producer says we’re gonna go with it.

I’m embarrassed for everyone involved in this.

Then again, CNN’s Don Lemon speculated that a black hole may have swallowed the plane. If you know anything at all about black holes, which Don Lemon apparently doesn’t, you’d know that HLN’s psychic angle is actually more plausible.

This entry was posted in The Media and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • David Ferguson

    I want everyone to appreciate the restraint I am showing by not openly joking about what I would like to do to Don Lemon’s black hole.

    • Christopher Foxx

      You’re referring to the one located between his ears, I assume.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Well in fairness to HLN, a psychic does have as much chance of telling us anything factual as Nancy Grace does.

  • Nefercat

    {stares dejectedly at the monitor}

    ~whimper~

  • raina

    As I said in my reply to Kurt Eichenwald, it seems to be a trend. On the Science Channel, for example, UFO experts are given as much credibility as real scientists. You see that on NASA’s Unexplained Files, particularly.

    For those who’ve never watched, all through the space program, there have been many unexplained sightings. Scientists and NASA experts give their opinions on what it could possibly be- chunks of ice, pieces torn off the space craft, etc- nothing so otherwordly, and then UFO experts, who of course say it has to be UFO/Alien related. Science Channel is increasingly becoming the ALIENS! UFOs! channel. History Channel Sr. and Jr. are already there.

    It’s all about if it’s on a science channel, it must be true. If a journalist says it, it must be true.

  • muselet

    I don’t know which is more depressing: that a news channel brought in a psychic or that I’m not surprised by that.

    –alopecia