How to Lure “Unchurched” Men

The Kentucky Baptist Convention has a plan for drawing large numbers of “unchurched” men to their congregations — give away lots of guns.

That’s not my interpretation, it’s their stated goal.

In the words of spokesman Chuck McAlister the strategy is “outreach to rednecks,” and 1,000 people are expected to attend the next event. To lure the nonreligious into the fold, the churches are offering a handgun, shotgun, or long gun as door prizes. [...]

“The number of unchurched men who will show up will be in direct proportion to the number of guns you give away,” McAlister told The Courier-Journal. “And I can almost tell you the number of men who would show up based on the make or model. There is a huge interest among unchurched men in the state of Kentucky regarding guns and gun rights that is even more of a draw than a toaster or money would be.”

It’s what Jesus would want, right? Give away instruments of death to the flock.

Yeehaw!

DoingGreat

This entry was posted in Guns, Religion and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    *facepalm*

    –alopecia

    • http://www.livingenergy.abmp.com/ KanaW

      I’ll see your *facepalm* and raise you a *headdesk*
      :D

  • Christopher Foxx

    Folks in favor of rational gun control should attend. In droves.

    Maximize the chance the “door prizes” will be won by someone who then dismantles and destroys the thing.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “How ironic to use guns to lure men in to hear a message about Jesus, who said, ‘Put away the sword,’” Rev. Joe Phelps, pastor of Louisville’s independent Highland Baptist Church, said according to Courier- Journal. “Can you picture Jesus giving away guns, or toasters or raffle tickets? … He gave away bread once, but that was as a sign, not a sales pitch.”

  • zirgar

    I don’t know what these gun giveaway churches do as far as any other outreach ministries are concerned, but I can’t help but think the time, money and/or donations that make free guns and steak dinners possible wouldn’t be better served helping to keep the indigent, poor, needy, homeless, and so forth, merely alive and in good health, as opposed to a “quality” of life matter, like this. It seems they’re trying to lure those on board those who they know already align with their (alleged/assumed) politics, so I can’t help but smell NRA and conservative backing here.