Issa Tells Cummings He Should Know His Place

DarrellIssa

Last week Democrats on the Oversight Committee gathered and released legal opinion which clearly demonstrated Darrell Issa compromised his own ability to gather information when he abruptly walked out of the committee interview with Lois Lerner.

Issa responded to their clear and concise legal analysis on Friday by outright dismissing it, but he didn’t stop there.

The California Republican also suggested that Cummings has impeded committee investigations out of loyalty to the White House and other Democrats.

“Even though the White House helped orchestrate your ascension to ranking member, I have encouraged, and continue to encourage, you to subordinate your political loyalties to the institutional interests of the committee and the House, especially in cases like this where obstructing the committee’s work risks permanently disadvantaging Congress in its interactions with the executive branch,” he added.

The arrogance just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?

Issa couldn’t be more blunt unless he called Representative Elijah Cummings (R-MD) an affirmative action representative who should know his place. That’s exactly how this reads.

And if anyone has ‘permanently disadvantaged’ Congress or the Oversight Committee, it’s Darrell Issa.

Issa’s leaking of partial or misleading transcripts or partial reports to the media recently led the White House to conclude that giving Issa any information they aren’t required to give him would be a bad idea because who knows what he will do with it?

Actually, we do know what he’ll do with it. He’ll chop it up and leak it to Fox News or ABC who will run the story without so much as interviewing other members of the Oversight Committee who may be able to provide greater context.

Issa is the most unethical man in Congress and if anyone should know his place, it’s him.

That’s putting it nicely.

(h/t David Benowitz)
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Darrell Issa may be the dumbest human being on the planet, or a shameless partisan liar, or some combination of the two.

    My money’s on the combo.

    Not that his replacement is likely to be much better, but I’m glad 2014 is the last year Issa chairs the Oversight Committee.

      There’s a rumor that Issa is looking for an exception to let him stay beyond the usual term limit.

      • muselet

        *headdesk*

        –alopecia

      • Nefercat

        Well, it would be nice to think that he would be disappointed, what with not keeping his seat and all, but he has been a snake all along and his constituents have re-elected him so I guess he’ll be leaving a slime trail around Congress for some time to come.

        • nathkatun7

          I really think if Democrats were daring enough to target Darrell Issa’s seat, they could unseat him.

          • D_C_Wilson

            Since the 2002 redistricting, Issa’s district has been bright red. It’s a classic example of gerrymandering. It would take a lot of effort to unseat him. The democrats would need an exceptional candidate and lots of money.

            Unseating him would be sweet, but I kind of doubt the dems could pull it off.

          • nathkatun7

            Actually, D_C_ Wilson, his margin of victory, in 2012, was drastically reduced. His challenger, with no money, and no name recognition, got about 43% of the votes. This was the first time that Issa received less than 60% of the votes. Because of the changing demographics in San Diego’s North County, a well financed challenge could topple Issa. You are absolutely right that it would require a good candidate (I don’t know about exceptional) and lots of money, but It’s doable. Up until the 1990s, 4 of the 5 Congressional Districts in San Diego County (Issa’s district includes portions of Orange County) were held by Republicans. Republicans in 1990s the GOP lost one seat that has remained Democrat ever since. In 2012, Republicans lost another seat. Right now, 3 of the 5 Congressional Districts in San Diego County are represented by Democrats. If DNC and DCCC mobilized, we could give Issa a challenge of his life. That’s just my take having lived in San Diego county for over 40 years.

          • bbiemeret

            Agreeing with DC, Issa reps the Interstate 5 corridor, from the affluent area of north San Diego County, past Camp Pendelton, and up to the even more affluent area of south Orange County. Short of redistricting, and I’m not even sure that would help, Dems could never take that seat. For the rap it gets between Hollywood and the surfer/beach culture, So Cal is remarkably conservative. There is a boatload of money down here. RMoney’s car elevator is down here.

          • nathkatun7

            “RMoney’s car elevator is down here.”

            First, La Jolla, probably one of the most affluent areas in all of California, is where Romney has his mansion with a car elevator. Right now, La Jolla, is currently Represented by a Democrat, Scott Peters, who won in 2012. This is the first time, in my 41 years in San Diego County, that this Congressional District was able to elect a Democrat.

            Second, I respectfully beg to differ with your emphatic assertion that “Dems could never take that seat.” I urge you to consider the results of the 2012 election. The fact that a candidate, with no name recognition, and practically with no money at all, was able to hold Darrell Issa’s victory below 60% of the votes was quite revealing. This had never happened before. I believe that if Democrats allotted substantial resources to this district, hard as it looks, they really can win it. I am obviously not saying it would be easy.

            We also must never forget the lesson that In the supposedly conservative Orange county, Congresswoman Sanchez was able to defeat one of the most rabid right wingers, Robert Dornan, who had held that seat for decades. So you see, with hard work, a good candidate, grassroots mobilization, and some money, anything is possible. The least we could do is try.

          • bbiemeret

            Scott Peters won a seat in a newly restructured 52nd District, a district that, while consisting of some very affluent areas, also contains much of San Diego’s urban areas and minority populations. Issa’s district has none of that.

          • nathkatun7

            When was the 52nd district “newly restructured”? Was it In 2012? Because in 2010, the Republican won it. How do you explain the fact that Issa’s margin of victory, in 2012 was the lowest throughout his tenure? For the first time, a candidate with no name recognition and with practically no money was able to win 42% of the vote in Issa’s district. I don’t dispute the fact that Issa’s district is conservative and therefore tough to win. At the same time there are more NON-WHITE people (mainly Asian and Hispanic) in his district than before. As I pointed out, no one ever imagined that conservative Orange County would elect a Hispanic woman over a staunch conservative, like Dornan. Guess what? It happened!

  • zirgar

    There’s incalculably more evidence showing that Issa is a morally/ethically compromised dickwad than there is of any wrongdoing by the Obama administration in any of Issa’s investigations.