It All Began With Benghazi… and Keystone XL

blackpresidentsfault

Everyone has their own theory for why the Russian invasion of Crimea is Obama’s fault. Senator Lindsey Graham says it all began with Benghazi, but Representative Paul Ryan thinks it probably has something to do with the Keystone XL pipeline extension.

There’s more than one reason why that’s very dumb.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) on Wednesday argued that President Obama needs to approve the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline because of the crisis in Ukraine. [...]

Ukraine is not actually in need of the oil that would be produced by building the Keystone pipeline. According to the Energy Information Administration, “Only a relatively small portion of the country’s total consumption is accounted for by petroleum and other liquid fuels.” And, since the Keystone XL pipeline would take years to build, there’s virtually no chance that it would be of use for the escalating Ukrainian crisis even if oil were in play.

I’m more or less a layman in regards to Eastern European economics and politics, which is why I haven’t said very much about the situation, but I do know enough to know that much of Europe relies on natural gas, not oil.

The Keystone XL pipeline extension is an oil pipeline, not a natural gas pipeline, and it would take years to build and even longer to begin delivering any of it to Europe.

But wait, haven’t Republicans and pipeline supporters framed the pipeline as an answer to America’s need for energy? Why would we (and by “we” I mean Canada) export the oil transported by the pipeline to other markets? Are you telling me that was the plan all along? Oh.

This will become an official GOP meme by the end of the week if not the end of the day.

This entry was posted in Epic Fail, Russia and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • zirgar

    It’s clear to anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear that Russia’s invasion of the Crimea is Lindsey Graham’s fault; one look at that effete little turd would make any world leader cocksure and confident about the decision to invade another nation.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Eddie Munster doesn’t exactly inspire terror in our enemies either.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) on Wednesday argued that President Obama needs to approve the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline because of the crisis in Ukraine. [...]

    Ryan would argue that Obama needs to approve the pipeline because West Virginia has water problems. Or because it’s Wednesday. Or just because.

    When you talk in complete non sequitors and nonsense, anything is supposedly a reason for anything else.

  • mrbrink

    For the GOP, encouraging the executive branch to force Keystone XL on several states is just fine when an undertaking of this magnitude is all about smashing doll houses and being Cobra Kai jagoffs. How about we nationalize the fucker and all proceeds go toward building an infrastructure that isn’t made out of Blade Runner movie posters.

  • muselet

    I’m more or less a layman in regards to Eastern European economics and politics …

    According to John McCain, we’re all Ukrainians now, so there’s no excuse for being ignorant about the region. (Unless of course knowledge gets in the way of the US turning some country into a glass parking lot, in which case ignorance is patriotic. Or something. You’ll have to ask The Ancient Mariner for clarification.)

    Get with the program, Ashby.

    Also, Paul Ryan is just playing Righty Mad Libs again. Nothing new.

    This is the difference between having an agenda and being serious about governing. When your entire worldview revolves around implementing an agenda, any event just becomes another impetus for ticking one of the boxes on the agenda. Thus, a terrorist attack that was planned in Afghanistan and involving nineteen Saudis is the perfect justification for invading Iraq. The economy doing well? Tax cuts for the wealthy will keep things going that way. The economy goes into recession? More tax cuts for the wealthy will fix that. The only thing that’s surprising here is that Ryan didn’t also try to plug his budget plan, too.