Jan Brewer’s Hand Caught in the Anti-Gay Cookie Jar

straight-vs-gay

When Arizona Governor Jan Brewer vetoed the Jim Crow for Gays bill she said the language of the bill was vague and too broad.

That may be the case, but apparently her office helped craft the language of the bill.

Capitol Media Services reported Monday on the meetings that Brewer’s advisers, Michael Hunter and Joe Sciarrota, had with the Center for Arizona Policy, which drafted and pushed the bill. They began in January before the legislative session commenced; the bill was introduced Jan. 14. [...]

“The intent of the meetings… was to thoroughly vet the language, address their concerns, and make changes in the language pursuant to their concerns,” [CAP president Cathi Herrod] said.

The governor’s office worked with the bill’s progenitors to ensure that it wasn’t too vague or broad.

I’m just guessing here, but here’s my theory: Governor Jan Brewer had every intention of signing the bill into law but backed out after its passage in the legislature drew nationwide condemnation. Moreover, Jan Brewer is too stupid to have understood the implications of the bill on her own and didn’t realize until the rest of the country informed her.

I’m not sure if that’s a more sympathetic view than the idea that she actively supported the project knowing full well what the implications were before backing out at the last second.

Whether she understood the implications or not, her office clearly helped pass the bill.

This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    Deep down, aren’t we not surprised by this?

  • KABoink_after_wingnut_hacker

    It was only the national attention that forced this reprehensible woman to back down.
    Perhaps it might have appeared too obvious if she had two hate laws so close together after her “papers please” discrimination. Meanwhile she hopes republican plans for voter disenfranchisement goes unnoticed.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I suspect she didn’t understand the full implications of the bill. Bigots never see how the prejudices they have could ever be turned against them.

    Discriminate against a person because of their skin color/orientation/religion? That only means against blacks/gays/Muslims. They never see that it could also mean whites/straights/”Christians”.

    And once that becomes blindingly obvious (because merely overly obvious still isn’t enough for it to get thru to them) the reaction tends to be “Hey, that’s not fair that you treat us that way” with attempts to make those particular discriminations illegal while still allowing the black/gay/Muslim ones to occur.

    I suspect she didn’t understand the full implications of the bill, but see no reason to believe she wasn’t fully in favor of it as she understood it.

      Another possibility is that she let her “assistants” write the bill and by her assistants I mean the former lobbyists that work for conservative supporting corporations like the Corrections Corporation of America.

  • Robert Scalzi

    I believe if not for the Super Bowl being in AZ this bill would have been signed – but Jan couldn’t lose that – I mean when you look back, all the outcry from the business community didn’t get her to veto the I hate Brown people bill did it ??

    • D_C_Wilson

      Exactly. Brewer got handed the invoice detailing what this bill would have cost the state and backed off.

      Yes, she is stupid enough not to have seen this coming.

  • muselet

    That public outcry — not the bill’s language — is what led to Brewer’s veto, Herrod asserted. “The governor vetoed a bill that didn’t exist,” she said.

    Excuse me for a moment, I have to go get my violin.

      They were also saying that the public outcry made them look bad. No, it was the bill itself that made you look bad. This is part and parcel of their overall blindness to how their policies are perceived by a good portion of the country. Like when they say, “It’s not our message that sucks, it’s the way we deliver that message.”

      BTW, Love that pic!

      • Christopher Foxx

        This is part and parcel of their overall blindness to how their policies are perceived

        This is part and parcel of their overall blindness to what their policies are..

    Okay, it’s official. I have to withdraw my kudos to the Gov. Silly, silly me thinking that I could actually agree with a conservative politician.