Koch Brothers’ Obamacare Horror Story is Another Lie

This anti-Obamacare ad produced by the Koch Brothers’ Americans for Prosperity group is a complete lie.

The Detroit News checked out Boonstra’s horror story and discovered that she will save a significant amount of money under Obamacare, not spend more.

Boonstra’s old plan cost $1,100 a month in premiums or $13,200 a year, she previously told The News. It didn’t include money she spent on co-pays, prescription drugs and other out-of-pocket expenses.

By contrast, the Blues’ plan premium costs $571 a month or $6,852 for the year. Since out-of-pocket costs are capped at $5,100, including deductibles, the maximum Boonstra would pay this year for all of her cancer treatment is $11,952.

When advised of the details of her Blues’ plan, Boonstra said the idea that it would be cheaper “can’t be true.”

“I personally do not believe that,” Boonstra said.

‘That can’t be true. I don’t believe that.’

This is what Obama Derangement Syndrome (ODS) looks like.

Of course Americans for Prosperity could have verified this themselves and informed Julie Boonstra that she will save money, but they either chose not to or they chose to lie about it.

Either way, their handiwork means people who were duped by their false ad may go without coverage under false pretense. People will suffer because they’re liars.

(h/t David Benowitz Attorney at Law)
This entry was posted in Healthcare, Koch Brothers and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gingerland62

    The GOP is lying? I am shocked, shocked I say!

  • Churchlady320

    Today three GOP reps introduced bills to HELP ACA improve – something we could have been focused upon in 2011, 12, 13 but did not – meaning at least a handful of GOP suddenly got good sense. The Kochs are not invincible when the will of the people is expressed. Ms. Boonstra is welcome to pay far, far more for her care if she likes. NO one is stopping her, but her own refusal to check options is entirely HER idiocy.

      How far do we have to go to save people from their own idiocy? It is a shame and it makes me mad that they are lied to her. On the other hand, if people are flat out told the truth AND they can verify those facts with a third party but refuse to do so, then they deserve whatever happens to them.

    • JMAshby

      Actually she did sign up for a new plan, she just had no idea that it will save her money or refuses to believe that it will.

        Okay, good! Then by 2016 when she’s saved tons of money because of it she’ll maybe vote for a Demo…..oh who am I kidding.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Ms. Boonstra is welcome to pay far, far more for her care if she likes.

      Fine with me. Less of her money available to support GOP causes.

  • waspuppet

    “I personally do not believe that,” Boonstra said.

    You know what? I don’t fking care. By voting for people who passed the ACA, my responsibility to look after the health of Julie Boonstra as a fellow American citizen is completed.

    If she wants to die rather than admit a black President exists, and did something good, she can die.

    • MrDHalen

      After watching Chris Hayes tonight and seeing that she has made a follow up ad saying she is being attacked because people are proving her claims are false. I’m sorry, but there is evil in this world. We are being kind when we say she’s just misguided and being lied too. F that!!!

  • muselet

    “I personally do not believe that.”

    Hmm. That sounds oddly familiar.

    –alopecia

    • Treading_Water

      Do you mean like this guy?

      “We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And
      while you’re studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we’ll act
      again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s
      how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors…and you, all of you,
      will be left to just study what we do.” Unsourced Bush campaign aide

      Or this guy?

      “A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms
      for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that’s true,
      but the facts and evidence tell me it is not.”
      Ronald Reagan

      It is well known that facts have a liberal bias. Why would anyone listen to their elitist intellectual brain spouting liberal facts when they could listen to their steadfast patriotic heart giving gentle words of encouragement? In this age of the internet information bubble, not only is everyone entitled to their opinions, but everyone now is encased in a hard shell of their own “facts.”

      • muselet

        Yeah, pretty much, only with less evil and more dumb.

    This is it; this sums up the entire thing, the whole megillah, in a nutshell:

    When advised of the details of her Blues’ plan, Boonstra said the idea that it would be cheaper “can’t be true.”

    “I personally do not believe that,” Boonstra said.

    What more needs to be said?

    The normative belief, which has metastasized into an article of faith, is that “OBAMACARE IS BAAAAD!!!!! AND I AM A VICTIM!!!!” That has to be true. That cannot be untrue and thus cannot be disproven. If the facts tend to disprove the normative belief, then the facts must be wrong. 2 + 2 cannot = 4; it cannot be allowed to = 4. It must = 5.

    Rush Limbaugh nailed this a couple of years ago, when his response to being confronted with facts that disproved one of his normative beliefs, was to tell his audience (paraphrasing), “We know it’s true anyway.”

    There is no point in attempting to use facts or objectively-observable reality to undermine an article of faith. I had some nitwit ove on HuffPo a while back tell me that federal law prohibited employment discrimination based on sexual orientation, based on the EEOC’s internal employment policy, which no matter how many times I explained it he refused to accept is not federal law.” He called the actual text of Title VII (you know, the actual federal law) a “poor example that is not reflective of current law.” He claimed that the dozens of cases I cited through and including 2013 stating unequivocally that federal law does not proscribe anti-LGBT discrimination, were all “overturned” by an Executive Order relating to the federal government’s internal employment policy — in 1982.

    There is no getting through to these people. None.

  • Robert Scalzi

    this proves my belief that in order to be a republican or a conservative today you must be either Ignorant or Evil.

    • captkurt

      Double bonus points for a wing nut if they’re both!

    • GrafZeppelin127

      I don’t think it “proves” that. I think it shows that there are actively ignorant and actively evil people who root for, support and enable the GOP, or who call themselves “conservatives” or “Republicans.” I think it proves that Republican politics attracts and appeals to actively ignorant and/or evil people. Maybe that ignorant, evil people are more likely to call themselves conservative and to vote Republican than to call themselves anything else or vote for anyone else.

      But I know a number of self-described conservatives and fans of the GOP who are neither ignorant nor evil.

      • Robert Scalzi

        if they vote republican in this era they are ignorant

        • GrafZeppelin127

          I admit it’s hard to find a reasonable justification for voting Republican these days. Maybe if you genuinely believe that an economy can be built or strengthened from the top down, if you genuinely believe that if you take care of the rich the economy will take care of itself, if you genuinely believe that having a social safety net is bad, if you genuinely believe that our laws should reflect a specific religious morality …. I don’t know. When I ask my Republican friends why they vote Republican they can’t get past bumper-sticker slogans about “limited government” and taxes and freedom and what-not. That is, those who don’t immediately start complaining about all the people they resent unfairly benefiting at their expense thanks to Democrats, which they think Republicans will put a stop to.

          I don’t think voting Republican makes one ignorant, per se. Misguided, maybe. Misplaced priorities, maybe. Or just a different understanding of what the law should be. But it’s hard to get an explanation that actually makes sense.

          • MrDHalen

            I’ve been reading a lot of Ta-Nehisi Coates lately and I have come to believe most of these people are not misguided, but know exactly what they want. The reason for the incoherent explanations is because they can’t state their true beliefs without facing public condemnation.

            Most good people I know who were Republicans, have long since become Independents. I believe the GOP has boiled themselves down to oligarchs & racist and anyone not falling in those two groups, has not been paying attention for years.

      • nathkatun7

        I am sorry, but you totally lost me! I just don’t get it why these “fans of the GOP who are neither ignorant nor evil.” are so silent about the “ignorant” and “evil” people who have taken over the GOP? As far as I am concerned. the silence of these good and decent conservatives– perhaps with the exception of Bob Gates and Colin Powell, who now and then mildly disagree with the GOP lunatics– speaks volumes.

        • GrafZeppelin127

          1. Define “silent.”

          2. Explain how it is you know for a fact that specific individuals whom you do not know, have never met, and cannot identify, have or have not done any particular thing.

    • nathkatun7

      I too can’t think of any other choice allowed conservative Republicans! I think it’s the combination of ignorance and evilness that fuels the right winger’s venomous hatred of President Obama.

  • captkurt

    One question. Was Ms. Boonstra compensated in any way for her testimonial, or did she do it out of the kindness and goodness of her heart, to save others from suffering her tragic fate? Cash flow can have quite an effect on a person’s opinions, or grasp of reality.

    • DetroitSam

      I don’t believe that she wasn’t paid.

      • nathkatun7

        I don’t think this shouldn’t be a question of beliefs. Either she was paid or she wasn’t. I don’t know if Ms. Boonstra was paid or not, but I sure would like to to know if she was or was not paid.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Another classic example of ideology trumping reality.