Mike Huckabee: Lost Causer?

While explaining why he opposes abortion, Fox News host Mike Huckabee referred to the Civil War as the “War of Northern Aggression” to thunderous laughter of course.

via TPM

He said that the best reason of all for why he did not support abortion is “that every life is made in the image of god and I have no right to disrupt that which he has initiated,” according to audio obtained by TPM.

The former Arkansas governor went on to say that “I don’t believe I can own another person, I thought we settled that after the Civil War, or as some people in the South when I was young used to still call it, the War of Northern Aggression.” The audience laughed.

Shucks, those Yankees simply sought to impose their way of life on us wholesome southern folk like the chivalrous Mike Huckabee, men who are kind enough to open a door for women even if we don’t trust them to make their own decisions about their bodies. Men who treated their slaves well, right? They put a (barn) roof over their head and everything.

Here’s a question for Huckabee: if every life is made in the image of god, why do some fetuses develop birth defects? Why do some form without vital organs? Why do some pose a grave threat to the health of the mother? And in the spirit of his comments; why are some born black?

Huckabee can believe whatever he wants to believe, but he doesn’t get to impose his beliefs on other people.

This entry was posted in Abortion, Ethics and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • kscoyote

    Only a NeoConfederate would call a war the SOUTH started with the attack on Ft. Sumpter a war of NORTHERN aggression.

  • Christopher Foxx

    and I have no right to disrupt that which he has initiated,

    So Huckster is in favor of leaving cancers untreated. Good to know.

    I’m looking forward to his declaring his opposition the insurance industry (all those acts of god they try to mitigate) not to mention the oil, mining and lumber industries (disrupting the Earth god made).

  • Christopher Foxx

    And in the spirit of his comments; why are some born black?

    Ooohhh, never thought of that. I’m going to have to use that the next time someone pulls the “made in god’s image” trope.

  • muselet

    I’m confused. Is abortion like slavery or topping Granny?

    Either way, Mike Huckabee is an ass.

    Notice how he deflects owning the phrase “War of Northern Aggression” by saying others used to say it when he was younger. No, Mr. Huckalot, you just said and you own it now. Thanks for proving what we’ve always known about you–you’re like every other Republican huckster out there.

  • aynwrong

    Maybe liberal “yankees” should start referring to The Civil War as The War of Southern Treason.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Yes. Exactly this. Yes.

  • Commie Santa

    Are the lives of Iraqi civilians made in the image of God? Where was the Huckster then?