Money Well Spent

Douchey Silicon Valley investor Tim Draper is putting down nearly a million dollars of his own money — $750,000 to be exact — in an effort to divide the state of California into six territories.

The proposal — which would split the Golden State into the Northern state of “Jefferson,” North California, Central California, Silicon Valley, West California and South California — ignores many divisive issues that have shaped the state, from water politics to agriculture.

Tim Draper, a Republican venture capitalist, must collect 807,615 signatures to make the ballot by July 18, according to the Bee. Even if he does, the final approval would fall to Congress.

Why is he doing this and why do I say he’s a douche?

Because, from his perspective, California’s size and diversity has made it ungovernable. According to him, the state government is “dominated by a large number of elected representatives from a small part of our state, both geographically and economically.”

That’s a nice line, but his version of an idealistic, divided California would conveniently sever Silicon Valley off from the rest of the state. Virtually every big-name tech company based in the San Francisco area from Google to Twitter and Apple would end up governing themselves.

I suspect his true concern is not representative government, but state tax dollars collected in Silicon Valley being redistributed beyond his gated community.

The good news is Draper’s proposal has absolutely no chance of actually being implemented.

This entry was posted in Ethics, Taxes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Robert Scalzi

    What he is really after is the Senate seats – if it were to spilt along the lines he has drawn there will be 8 senators from the 4 new Con states and 4 (maybe) from the LA region and the Central Ca region – meaning at least 8 rep sens and at most 3-4 Dem sens – screw that

  • Churchlady320

    From the idiotic notion propagated by Steven Hill that CA should be cut into strips with four reps in each, the strips being ‘diverse’ by running from coast to Sierras, someone has a ‘solution’ for our problems that makes the problems MUCH WORSE.

    Mr. Scalzi is right – underpinning most ‘salvation’ are crass political desires. Every notion put forth seems to benefit the GOP as if they were some deserving but ignored underclass. They got to be a minority entirely righteously by dissing the existing population and favoring the rich, so hey. You reap what you sow.

    Most Californians outside of maybe the “State of Jefferson” see the virtue in BEING a state, so I agree that this has scant chance of passing, maybe even of getting on the ballot. But beware of our state’s single most indestructible resource: crackpot snake-oil salespeople.

    • muselet

      It could make the ballot. There are enough cranky Righties in California (just drive through the Central Valley and you’ll pass a lot of them) to get lots of signatures on a petition.

      I don’t think it could pass, though.

      –alopecia

      • Robert Scalzi

        thankfully my state is locked down by the Democratic party and this will die even if it gets enough signatures. I’m not sure if a nut case w/ deep pockets can get his wish anyway, this is doomed to either fail or be struck down by the courts

    • D_C_Wilson

      Every notion put forth seems to benefit the GOP as if they were some deserving but ignored underclass.

      It’s odd. As much as they sneer at the actual unclass in this country and decry any effort to help level the playing field, the GOP has managed to fully embrace grievance politics whenever it suits their interests.

      • Churchlady320

        They have honed “poor little me” to an art.

  • trgahan

    “…a Republican venture capitalist…”

    That is all you needed to copy in from TPM to prove this whole thing is both A) a tax/regulation dodge and B) using money to try and solve electoral sour grapes.

    Though I thought all Silicon Valley venture capitalists were avowed faux-libertarians (since 2006 of course)…who knew…

  • muselet

    I suspect his true concern is not representative government, but state tax dollars collected in Silicon Valley being redistributed beyond his gated community.

    Yup.

    The good news is Draper’s proposal has absolutely no chance of actually being implemented.

    And that he’s wasting his money on a foregone conclusion. Less left for him to send to PACs, etc.