Obamacare is Working

HealthcareGov1

According to a new Gallup survey, the number of uninsured Americans has dropped to a 5-year low.

All told, the uninsurance rate in the first three months of 2014 stood at 15.9 percent, compared to 17.1 percent in the last quarter of 2013 — and the largest drops in uninsurance occurred among African Americans and lower-income people, who are among the most likely to benefit from the ACA’s financial assistance.

“The largest drops in uninsurance occurred among African Americans and lower-income people” which is why the Republican party so desperately wants to repeal it. We can’t let those people have healthcare.

This survey is more significant than it first appears at face value.

Surveys in previous years have also displayed sudden drops in the number of uninsured Americans, however Obamacare was not in full effect when those surveys were taken.

It’s possible that today’s drop in the number of uninsured is a permanent shift rather than a cyclical anomaly. A permanent shift that is boosting personal income.

This entry was posted in Healthcare, Poll and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    “The largest drops in uninsurance occurred among African Americans and
    lower-income people” which is why the Republican party so desperately
    wants to repeal it. We can’t let those people have healthcare.

    To be fair and play devil’s advocate for a moment, I don’t think Republicans have anything against “those people” “having” health care per se. What they’re against is anyone, especially Democrats, helping them get it. They’re fine with them having it if they can afford it, but they have no interest in helping them afford it, and they don’t want anyone else helping them afford it and getting the electoral credit for helping them afford it.

    That’s why their whole schtick right now is essentially to convince people that being helped is bad. That was the point of the stupid, plagiarized and distorted “brown bag lunch” story. Only lazy moochers who don’t love their kids want to be helped; you’re not one of those are you?

    How else can you convince people to vote for representatives who promise not to help them?

    • muselet

      I agree. Most of what the Rs do is motivated by hatred of the poors (and whoever typically votes D) in general, not of the melanin-enhanced specifically.

        I think it’s resentment more than hatred, coupled with self-congratulation. They don’t hate the poor, they just resent them for being needy. They resent the fact that the needs of the poor are important enough to be of concern to all of society, whereas their own needs are not.

        • muselet

          You’re right, but in my defense it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between Righty resentment and Righty rage.

      They’re fine with them having it if they can afford it, but they have no interest in helping them afford it, and they don’t want anyone else helping them afford it and getting the electoral credit for helping them afford it.

      I agree. And the second part of that is far more important to Republicans than the first. They don’t want to help people if someone else gets the credit. This is true to an extent with all politicians, but it usually took the form of jumping on the bandwagon for something that was popular so some of the credit came their way, too.

      But the Republicans have have decided nobody else gets credit for anything , ever, no matter what. Better millions go broke and die than any credit fall to a Democrat. It’s why something that was originally a Republican-proposed and backed plan suddenly becomes something that has to be repealed at all costs.

      It’s a mindset that, over the last 22+ years, that has become so entrenched that all their efforts are now geared, 100%, towards finding fault with others. There is no effort at all to actually do any good.

      IMHO, they have approached “Obamacare” in exactly the wrong way. They could have owned it. “Look how good our ideas are. Even the Democrats are trying to co-op things we came up with. You really should elect us, rather than these johnny-come-latlies who have no ideas of their own.”

      But they have no interest in building. Only in tearing down.

    • JMAshby

      That’s not necessarily contradictory to what I said. You can believe both and I do.

      I’m just a little more cynical than you.

      • MrDHalen

        I share your opinion Ashby. I believe the CORE of the GOP is to maintain white male superiority by any means necessary and survival of the fittest comes right after that. There are no poor white people in America, just white Americas who have lost their jobs or income to affirmative action blacks and illegal immigrants in the minds of whats left of your average Republican.