Outreach

The finance co-chair of Florida Governor Rick Scott’s reelection campaign, billionaire Latino Mike Fernandez, has resigned from the campaign because Scott’s staffers just can’t keep their racist innuendo to themselves.

Tensions between Scott’s campaign staff and Fernandez had been building for weeks. And the last straw, according to people within the campaign who spoke with the Miami Herald this weekend, was an incident in which several of Scott’s campaign staffers allegedly began joking around in a cartoonish, over-the-top Mexican accent while on the way to a Mexican restaurant.

This is a big problem for the Republican party.

The problem is even if their star candidate can mind his/her mouth; whether it’s the governor, a senator, or a presidential nominee; there’s a very high chance that their campaign staff won’t be able to.

This should be a major concern to 2016 hopefuls as they build their campaigns. Immigration, gay rights, and women’s rights will undoubtedly be areas of tension. What could go wrong?

I have a hunch that the next presidential election cycle and its accompanying down-ticket races will be even uglier than the last.

This entry was posted in Racism, Rick Scott and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lady Willpower

    Just remember, they don’t really have a problem with women and latinos.
    They do still hate gays, though. No pussyfooting around on that score.

  • Draxiar

    I hope the Democratic hopefuls for this years elections in November light enough excitement in the voters to strengthen their position in Congress. Let’s flip voting history around and end the fuckery of the GOTP in Congress and make the last 2 years of the Obama Administration even stronger! The Dems are already a leg up…they don’t need to sling mud. The Repubs by virtue of opening their fat mouths are doing it to themselves by inadvertently dancing in the puddles.

    • JMAshby

      Dem apathy is being somewhat overplayed or exaggerated. The real problem is so many races this year are in red states and conservative districts. And just like the last time, some on the left are too busy attacking blue dogs to help them hold on to their seats.

      • Draxiar

        Ah…fair enough…that raises my hope a bit more. I still hope they get out and vote. We continue to pay for the apathy in 2010.

        • captkurt

          They/we must get out and vote this Fall! Nate Silver is predicting that the R’s will gain control of the Senate after the midterms. Though, I think he’s off base on Climate Change, so maybe he can’t be correct all of the time?

          • Scopedog

            True, Silver’s predictions should get us off our duffs, but it’s still March. November is months away, and hopefully by then people will get their act together and get out and vote.

          • Sabyen91

            He isn’t so much predicting that. He said they are slight favorites to take the Senate.

      • Scopedog

        I hope so, JM. I’m also sick and tired of reading comments on other sites that are all about “I’m not voting to send a message because of the NSA!!” As if that were the only issue that matters.
        It isn’t, of course, but as you said, just like last time, too many on the Left are too busy going after the Blue Dogs and whining about not voting to “send a message.”

        • Sabyen91

          I am going to send a message….by allowing the Republicans, who REALLY abused the system (not even getting FISA warrants) to…be in charge of the NSA again!

    • Christopher Foxx

      The Dems are already a leg up…they don’t need to sling mud. The Repubs by virtue of opening their fat mouths are doing it to themselves

      The Dems may not need to sling mud. But they do need to step up and call their opponents on it, clearly and without minced words, when they open their fat mouths and tell the truth.

  • D_C_Wilson

    When asked about the resignation of Fernandez, Rick Scott made the following statement: “Nassssty hobbitses! They stoled the precioussss!”

  • muselet

    Fernandez’s departure from the campaign is the latest blow to Florida Republicans’ outreach efforts. Last May, the RNC’s State Director of Hispanic Outreach, specifically hired to attract more Hispanic voters in Florida, resigned and registered as a Democrat after noting his former party’s “culture of intolerance.” Earlier this year, Ana Rivas Logan, a former Republican state representative, changed her party affiliation because she felt the GOP was becoming “a party that attacks women and minorities.”

    Keep up the good work, Rs. Those outreach efforts will start working any day now.

    Scott’s campaign manager Melissa Sellers tried to downplay the severity of the racist remarks that supposedly motivated Fernandez’s departure, but stopped short of denying they took place. “Mike was not in the van,” she told the Miami Herald via email. “I spoke to every staffer in the van…If something was said in an accent, no one remembers what it was. We are a diverse organization and we do not tolerate inappropriate comments.”

    I don’t know why I find that paragraph so hilarious.

      Last May, the RNC’s State Director of Hispanic Outreach, specifically
      hired to attract more Hispanic voters in Florida, resigned and
      registered as a Democrat

      LOL.. it’s all just feckin’ hilarious.

      Well, it just goes to show you that there are some reasonable people in the GOP….they just don’t stay there very long. ;)

    • Christopher Foxx

      “I spoke to every staffer in the van…If something was said in an accent, no one remembers what it was.”

      Yes, it’s that ingrained.

    • Christopher Foxx

      We are a diverse organization and we do not tolerate inappropriate comments.

      “Hispanics are capable people, too”, for example.

  • chris ellis

    Wow, they couldn’t even keep their racism to themselves around a fucking billionaire. What hope do we all have that they don’t disparage all of us?