Paul Ryan Shames Poor Parents, Poor Kids

I was going to say something witty or snarky about this, but frankly this may be the most despicable thing Paul Ryan has ever said.

[Ryan] told an anecdote he said was relayed to him by Eloise Anderson, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s (R) Department of Children and Families secretary.

“She once met a young boy from a very poor family, and every day at school, he would get a free lunch from a government program,” Ryan said.

“He told Eloise he didn’t want a free lunch. He wanted his own lunch, one in a brown-paper bag just like the other kids,” he continued. “He wanted one, he said, because he knew a kid with a brown-paper bag had someone who cared for him. This is what the left does not understand.”

According to Ryan, if your children eat subsidized school lunches, you don’t care about them.

Of course Ryan will show that he’s the one who really cares about them by punishing them; by cutting food stamps and school lunches. Like a serial abuser who claims they love the abused.

‘I only hit you because I love you.’

After Ryan displays his concern for the poor by shaming and punishing the poor, he’ll stop by a local soup kitchen and scrub a few already-clean dishes for a photo op.

Paul Ryan, Janna Ryan

Unbeknownst to Ryan, some cities provide free lunches to every single student regardless of their family income. Does this mean none of the kids attending school in these cities have someone who cares about them?

Does Ryan understand that a significant portion of his own party’s voting base relies on subsidized school lunches?

Is Paul Ryan human or merely a lizard wearing an Edgar suit?

This entry was posted in Education, Ethics, Food and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Robert Scalzi

    I’m going with Lizard in an Edgar suit.

  • Nefercat

    If this apocryphal child actually exists, let alone said any such thing, it is because unconscionable sub-human lizards like Ryan have told him that subsidized school lunches mean their parents are lazy worthless 47% moochers that don’t give a shit about their children.

    I relied on subsidized lunches for my children for a time. They went through the line like everyone else. Parents could pay ahead on the child’s account and many did. The financial status of the child was not evident in the food line.

    And what my kids knew was that I cared enough to make sure they were fed.

    Roast in hell, Ryan. And I’ll take the lizard in the Edgar suit over Ryan any day. He had an excuse to act like a lizard. What’s Ryan’s?

    Edit: And speaking as a kid in grade school who was truly hungry (we went home for lunch and there often wasn’t any) and who looked longingly for most of the afternoon at the milk tray (5¢ white, 10¢ chocolate) hoping that someone would not be at school that day and maybe I would be given a leftover one (not really concentrating on math or reading), I would like to drag Ryan’s smarmy, weaselly, cold-blooded, nasty-ass, spoiled, smirking face up to the nuns that made sure skinny little me got some milk and let them deal with him.

      A-effing-men! I ate school lunches and I know they were subsidized. And even if my mom wanted to and could make my lunch, she worked 16 hours a day. I would never have dreamed of asking to her to do so. She proved every day that she went to work how much she loved me. Paul Ryan can kiss my ass.

  • WiscoJoe

    About 50% of all children attending public school in Ryan’s hometown of Janesville qualify for free or reduced lunches.

    Apparently, Ryan thinks a huge portion of his constituents don’t care about their children.

    • mdblanche

      I can see where he got the idea, given that they keep re-electing him.

      • Sabyen91

        No, this is absolutely wrong. Ryan didn’t break 40% in his home city or county. Due to gerrymandering though, much of Ryan’s district is in the Milwaukee suburbs. Those suburban assholes are the ones who re-elected him.

  • muselet

    TPM commenter “ottnott” pointed out this morning that the story about the poor boy is plagiarized from the book An Invisible Thread.

    What a heartless wanker.

      Haha, that’s hilarious. Cue the jokes about how Ryan’s audience would never know the difference because they don’t read books.

  • r_dale

    I love how the ZEGS always neglects to mention that he depended on the Evil GUB’mint, through Social Security survivor benefits, to get through high school and college, and has worked for the self-same evil GUB’mint ever since. And it turns out that he stole the story from a book; as always, wonkette is on the case! http://wonkette.com/543369/somebody-is-stealing-children-to-put-in-paul-ryan-speeches#more-543369 .

  • DHaradaStone

    Because there’s nothing like a millionaire who has collected a government check for most of his adult life lecturing poor parents on how to care for their kids.

  • JWheels

    I would rather know my entire community loves me than ask my impoverished parents to spend money they don’t have on food I could have gotten for free at school instead, likely something that would cause those parents to skip a meal of their own. I mean if we’re going to use a strawman argument that line of discussion can go either way.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Ryan prides himself on being a “numbers guy”.

    2011-2012 Participation:
    * 29 million children in more than 98,347 schools and residential child care institutions participated on a typical day.
    * 19.6 million of these children received free and reduced-price lunch.

    In fall 2013, about 50.1 million students will attend public elementary and secondary schools.

    According to Ryan, nearly 40 percent of parents don’t care about their children.

    • Churchlady320

      In fact 40 percent of parents are too desperate financially to make lunches. They passionately want their kids to have a good meal because it may be all they can eat that day. Ryan knows nothing of SNAP limitations and hunger in America.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I’m willing to bet that once he gets to “This is what the left does not understand,” his audience has stopped thinking about what he actually said before that, let alone what it means.

  • LTanya Spearman

    Problem with Paul Ryan little anecdote — It came from a book titled ‘The Invisible Thread’…
    He stole it and then lied where it came from !!!
    http://www.rawstory.com/2014/03/06/paul-ryan-cpac
    People we got another plagiarism…

    • Churchlady320

      Thank you so much!!! Always good to know that, like the phony pot washing, he’s no better at reality than Rand Paul.

  • drspittle

    I saw this tweet from Robert Costa at Balloon Juice:

    The key line from Ryan on Thurs will be a scathing synopsis of the Democrats’ pitch, saying they offer “a full stomach — and an empty soul.”

    • Churchlady320

      Actually they offer BOTH. Now if Ryan would increase the funding for food stamps (SNAP) and TANF, maybe the family would have enough money to MAKE brown bag lunches. But noooo.

      • drspittle

        Rethuglican motto: Why use common sense when you can demonize?

  • Churchlady320

    I would like to note the scene in the photo was of Ryan pretending to wash pans in a soup kitchen in Youngstown OH. He did not ask permission or offer to help with the REAL cleaning up – he just marched in and did the photo op. He thereby put the charity whose work I know well in serious jeopardy since they are a NON profit that is NON partisan. That’s how much cred on poverty Ryan has – he exploits the charities and risks their tax exemption all for little ol’ him. Bastard.

    • JMAshby

      Right. We covered that episode here pretty extensively actually. I did, anyway. Ryan is contemptible.

      • Churchlady320

        I remember and appreciate it, but lest anyone have missed it, since it involved people I know at the charity, I wanted to make the point. Thanks for ALWAYS calling these idiots out.

  • sweetnonnie

    On top of all that, the story isn’t even factual. Fact Checker at WaPo had a great analysis and take down of the brown bag story.

  • http://barkbarkwoofwoof.com/ Mustang Bobby

    Paul Ryan went to college paid for by his father’s Social Security death benefits. What a moocher.

  • ChrisAndersen

    The Edgar suit was worn by a bug, not a lizard.