Quote of the Day

Indeed, race is the Rosetta Stone that makes sense of many otherwise incomprehensible aspects of U.S. politics. -Paul Krugman on That Old-Time Dogwhistle

This may be the most poignant and relevant thing Krugman has written in quite some time. Calling a spade a spade, he adds:

Earlier this month the House Budget Committee, under Mr. Ryan’s direction, released a 205-page report on the alleged failure of the War on Poverty. What does the report have to say about the impact of falling real wages? It never mentions the subject at all.

And since conservatives can’t bring themselves to acknowledge the reality of what’s happening to opportunity in America, they’re left with nothing but that old-time dog whistle. Mr. Ryan wasn’t being inarticulate — he said what he said because it’s all that he’s got.

Acknowledging reality would mean acknowledging that wages are too low and we can’t admit that because it would mean the Job Creators may have to accept a slightly smaller than usual record annual bonus increase. The horror.

This entry was posted in Economy, Quote, Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    It doesn’t help that the GOP’s base NEEDS it all to be the “urban males” fault so they don’t have to recognize that the party they have so loyally backed all these years is the reason they haven’t received that “Supply Side/Free Market/Trickle Down” wealth that has been promised them for the last 40 years.

    Cue the standard, but furiously written rebuttal: “Krugman is the REAL racists for saying Ryan specifically (and Republicans in general) say and do things that are racist! I have black friends who think Democrats are the real racists!”

  • muselet

    Once again, just because …

    –alopecia

  • nathkatun7

    Krugman totally hit the nail on the head!

  • MrDHalen

    Ashby,

    When I read Krugman’s article earlier today, I thought the exact same thing. What a powerful way to perfectly explain today’s GOP. Almost everything the GOP does these days can be boiled down to an attempt to keep power in white hands.