Rand Paul: Help Ukraine by Drilling Everywhere

When Paul Ryan originally made this argument I said it would become an official meme by the end of the week.

It looks like I was more or less correct if not off by one day. via ThinkProgress

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) said Sunday that he thinks the best way to respond to the crisis in Ukraine would be drilling for oil and natural gas “in every possible conceivable place” in the U.S. [...]

“I would do something differently from the president,” Paul said. “I would immediately get every obstacle out of the way for our export of oil and gas, and I would begin drilling in every possible conceivable place within our territories in order to have production we can supply Europe with if it’s interrupted from Ukraine.”

I guess you could say Rand Paul has one-upped Paul Ryan.

Paul Ryan said we should build the Keystone XL pipeline extension and export oil to Ukraine even though Ukraine relies on natural gas, not oil. Rand Paul, on the other hand, says that we should drill everywhere!

Here’s an idea — let’s begin drilling in Rand Paul’s front yard and see how long it takes for him to cry Liberty!

Snark aside, this is a laughable approach to foreign policy and energy policy. If he wanted to impress me Paul should have proposed that we increase production of green energy products such as solar panels and export that to Europe. We should export energy independence as a form of national security.

Rand Paul won the CPAC 2014 presidential straw poll.

This entry was posted in Energy, Foreign Policy, Rand Paul and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    “Drill, Baby, Drill!”

    These are the people who love America so much they literally want to f*** it.

    should have proposed that we increase production of green energy products such as solar panels and export that to Europe

    About 10 years ago I created a pond in my back yard and I didn’t want to run electrical all the way from the house back to the pond (too much labor and wasteful). So I went shopping for a solar powered pond pump….and could not find any here in AZ much less the U.S. Britain and Europe had plenty of them. I lived in one of the sunniest places on Earth and had trouble finding a simple solar powered device. Do you know how many artificial ponds there are in AZ that need pumps? Probably thousands of them–every darn resort has several. I have no confidence that even this many years later that the US has more or could produce more solar powered devices than Europe already does.

    even though Ukraine relies on natural gas, not oil

    This triggered a mental picture of a Ryan photo op, him leaning over a natural gas heater in the Ukraine, shirt sleeves rolled up with that shit eating grin of his holding up a can of oil so the world can see what he is about to do, which is pour it into the heater and thoroughly ruin it. Next frame, Ryan standing there looking like Wile E. Coyote after the TNT went off. The stoopid, it boggles.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Germany is the world leader in solar power. Yes, Germany. Europe doesn’t need us to export green energy. We need to catch up to them.

  • trgahan

    Reminds me of the post-9/11 stock conservative answer on how to beat the terrorists (aside from invading countries they had intended to invade pre-9/11 anyway) was to drill ANWR.

    Did anyone ask Sen. Paul if maybe a better idea is demanding the former Ukrainian President and Russian-sympathetic Ukrainian “Job Creators” who fled the country to return the hundreds of billions of national wealth they embezzled before they left?

    Or is that just a case of the “smarter” guy working “harder” for his “liberty”?

  • muselet

    If only stupidity were an energy source …

    –alopecia

    • Churchlady320

      It IS a renewable resource.

        Unfortunately, it does the opposite of what we need.