Republican Fashionistas Can’t Stop Evaluating the President’s Clothing

President Obama is a bit of a nerd. Not a huge nerd, but occasionally a little nerdish. No need to stop the presses because this isn’t news, nor is it at all consequential in terms of the president’s toughness or how he leads the free world. For example, ask Anwar Al-Awlaki or Osama Bin Laden whether the president is a feckless wimp.

Nevertheless, one of the most superficial and nonsensical Republican hobby horses, generally falling within the same category of ludicrousness as teleprompters and Hawaii vacations, is how the president dresses himself. Yes, too many Republicans tend to behave like Joan Rivers or a poncy E! host on the red carpet before an awards show, laser-focused on the president’s clothing and accessories. This is a thing because, well, flailing and misplaced anger, for one. It’s also about painting a silly boardwalk caricature of the president as an impotent waif.

obama_bike_slacksWe’ll absolutely circle back to this, but yesterday on Sean Hannity’s radio show, Hannity went off on a rant about a photo of the president riding a bicycle while — gasp! — wearing a helmet. His guest said that this photo has been circulating in Russia to illustrate the president’s alleged weakness.

Here’s Hannity:

Didn’t they show a picture of, like, Putin with his shirt off riding horseback, and then they have a picture of Obama with his — on his bicycle with his, uh, goofy helmet of his? [...] I mean, it’s embarrassing. I mean the picture of him on that bicycle with that goofy hat on — heh, look, I’m gonna be honest as a parent, did I make my kids when they were learning to ride a bike wear that goofy helmet? Yeah. But when I grew up, all I did was ride my bike. I never wore a helmet. Ever. Not once. Not one time. Guess what? I had newspapers. And guess what? I went over the handle bars. My friends pushed me into cars, we pushed each other into cars. We survived. I mean, it just looks — it’s embarrassing.

Before we rip this apart, here’s a photo of the president riding a bike Hannity-style: no helmet.

But what the guest didn’t mention was that the contrasting Putin/Obama photos were obviously part of a government-led pro-Putin propaganda effort. So, it’s something to be taken at face value, right? Whatever Moscow says, must be true, right? It’s quite telling how in the midst of a crisis in Ukraine, Hannity is seriously accepting and repeating what’s likely an example of anti-U.S. propaganda out of Moscow. Interesting, especially from someone who once said… [READ MORE]

This entry was posted in President Obama, Russia, Sarah Palin, The Daily Banter and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Robert Scalzi

    If these feckless blowhards and elected officials don’t like it here then it is high time they move to the Ultimate Red State – Russia – don’t like it here ?? Go To Russia !!

  • zirgar

    “But when I grew up, all I did was ride my bike. I never wore a helmet. Ever. Not once. Not one time. Guess what? I had newspapers. And guess what? I went over the handle bars. My friends pushed me into cars, we pushed each other into cars. We survived.” Yes, Hannity, technically, you survived, but Mr. Obama decided his brain actually matters to him, so he’s protecting it. Shorter Hannity: “All that stupid Jackass-type stuff we did sure destroyed the hell out of my brain, but at least I didn’t look like a dork.” Bravo, Sean. Bravo.

    • Robert Scalzi

      I am older than Hannity (by a few years) and the reason we didn’t wear helmets in the 60s and 70s is they didn’t exist – hell neither did seat belts in my earliest years – what a douchebag…… we didn’t have them for Skiing either – but look at my pic – what am I wearing ?? yup a Helmet – never leave the car w/o it started wearing it before they were “accepted” now 60-70% of skiers and snowboarders wear them – we didn’t wear them for snowmobiling either – we do now – it is just the smart thing to do

      • zirgar

        And the typical, frenzied, brain-dead right-wing response to this will be, “So, Hannity didn’t lie then, he didn’t wear a helmet, so what’s your point?” But don’t forget that President Obama also slathers a ton of that un-American, unmanly brown mustard all over his bicycle helmet. So there’s that.

    • Nefercat

      Well, thank you, I was about to say the same.

      • zirgar

        Think of all the ugliness and utter stupidity Hannity’s dad could have spared the world by wearing a “helmet” when he rode Sean’s mom the night they conceived him. Such a pity.

  • Nefercat

    “…they have a picture of Obama with his — on his bicycle with his, uh, goofy helmet of his? […] I mean, it’s embarrassing. I mean the picture of him on that bicycle with that goofy hat on — heh, look,…”
    —————————————
    Really, you stupid, slimy, sleazebucket? Because I don’t see a dorky wimp.

    I see a father, a parent, who knows that it is critical to the character development of his children to set a good example and to make sure that when he tells his children to do what he says, it will match what he actually does.

    His children will have a clear and unequivocal view of their parents’ views and values put into action, a solid grounding for their adult lives and choices.

    You, Mr. Hannity? ‘Do as I say, not as I do.” The republican mantra. “Rules are for you, not for me.”

  • zirgar

    Fun Fact: William Howard Taft would often go out in public wearing nothing but sunshine and America’s hopes and dreams.

  • Jone_of_Snark

    I train horses for a living and wouldn’t go anywhere near such a walking brain injury without a helmet. Some of my “colleagues” absolutely will not wear helmets as they feel:
    (a) it will mess with their hair
    (b) it will diminish the “cool” factor”;
    (c) you end up looking like a dork (offshoot of the cool factor).

    My answer has always been if your brain (and by extension to this story, the Leader of the Free World’s brain) is less important than your hair or coolness factor, you are absolutely, unequivocally, 100% correct.