Scott Walker Has Seen Enough Voting

Scott Walker at GOP Convention

Wisconsin has the second highest voter turnout rate in the nation, second only to its neighbor Minnesota.

To you or I this an impressive feat that local residents and public officials should be proud of, but Governor Scott Walker clearly thinks high turnout is a problem.

In 2016, the role of Florida — with its six hour voting lines in 2012 — could be played by Gov. Scott Walker’s (R) state of Wisconsin. That’s because of a bill Walker signed on Thursday eliminating early voting in Wisconsin on weekends. This is the second time Walker signed a restriction on early voting into law. In 2011, he signed a bill reducing early voting from three weeks to two, and limiting it to just one weekend.

The bill will also prohibit you from casting an absentee ballot later than 7 p.m. on a weekday while eliminating weekend voting.

High turnout is not something anyone should take for granted and it certainly isn’t something that should be viewed as a problem. The consequences of low voter turnout can be severe; installing madmen into office.

The upside is that restricting voting appears to have backfired in many cases, but that doesn’t mean it should be overlooked or given a pass and there’s no guarantee it will continue to backfire in the future.

This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    I think Dave Weigel got the level of sarcasm just right:

    The 2012 election went incredibly smoothly in Wisconsin. Starting on Oct. 21, two weeks before the end of the election, voters could show up to early-voting sites and be done with their annual civic duty. Not registered? You could do that in person. Busy all week? Show up on Saturday or Sunday. The ease of the thing helped push Wisconsin turnout to 73.2 percent of eligible voters, up from 72.4 percent in 2008, the second-highest in the country. (Damn your eyes, Minnesota!)

    This was clearly a problem, and it had to be fixed.

    You’d almost think the Rs have something against free and fair elections, wouldn’t you?

    –alopecia

  • i_a_c

    Completely shameless behavior. There is NO reason why polls shouldn’t be open for a week in every precinct in the country, except for that pesky “when more people vote, Republicans lose” problem.

  • Nefercat

    I aw an article earlier today regarding voting in Florida and how the Florida election officials refused to carry out Scott’s purge.

    Now that I think of it, wouldn’t the elections and voting officials be the natural ones to be sounding the alarm about voter fraud?

    But they don’t and they aren’t. If anything they seem to be the ones more concerned about eligible people not being allowed to vote, or having voting made more difficult.

  • Sabyen91

    To top it off Scooter signed a bill where lobbyists could donate earlier in election years. Got that? The money can flow early but not the votes. I love how much my governor thinks of us and how he represents the everyman…

  • Christopher Foxx

    The bill will also prohibit you from casting an absentee ballot later than 7 p.m. on a weekday while eliminating weekend voting.

    So if it’s after 7:00 on Tuesday folks have to… wait until the next morning to mail in their absentee ballot? I know five-year-old who can see the stupidity in that.