The Liberty Tax That Wasn’t

On Friday Matt Drudge took to Twitter to claim that he had just paid his Obamacare “LIBERTY TAX” penalty for not purchasing insurance.

Many, including myself, pointed out that Matt Drudge is a pants-on-fire liar. This roused the trolls from under their bridges who then leaped to the defense of their idol, but unfortunately for them the IRS itself has now weighed in and confirmed what many others have already said; there is no penalty due at this time.

The department confirmed to TPM on Monday that instructions to pay the individual mandate penalty are still forthcoming. The IRS is still working on proposed regulations. On top of that, Treasury said that Americans who file quarterly estimated taxes — as Drudge said he did — are not required to include payments for the penalty.

That means Drudge likely gave the IRS an amount of money, which he has described as his penalty, but which he lacked the full information to pay. [...]

Drudge was under no obligation to pay the penalty in that [quarterly] filing. The deadline to sign up for health coverage and avoid the penalty, March 31, hasn’t even passed — though Drudge has sworn to opt out of Obamacare for life.

This leaves us with two distinct but not necessarily conflicting possibilities: Drudge is a liar or he’s an idiot.

I don’t expect Drudge will actually forgo Obamacare for life. I expect he’ll sign up at the end of January in 2017.

This entry was posted in Super Stupid and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://cendax.wordpress.com/ Norbrook

    The third possibility: That he’s a liar and an idiot. That he’s lying about the penalty, and he’s dumb enough to think anyone outside of his bubble would buy his statement. The other likely lie is that he’s doing without health insurance right now.

    • Al Iriberri

      No, he’s not. Many of his followers will believe it without question, that’s the gag. That’s their wheelhouse – the confident assertion is proof enough; certainty = facts.

      • captkurt

        I think the thing with lairs is that, because lying is so easy for them, they naturally assume that everyone else lies just as frequently. So any opposing viewpoint, or evidence contrary to their position, MUST be a lie. I doubt any amount of evidence will sway a true, dyed in the wool Drudgite from what they already believe, or constantly lie about.

        • Christopher Foxx

          So any opposing viewpoint, or evidence contrary to their position, MUST be a lie.

          I’ve never seen it explained that way, but I think you’re very much on to something.

          Habitual liars certainly do have a very hard time accepting a truth, and a large part of it is probably that they expect the world to be as dishonest as they know themselves to be.

          • JimmyAbra

            Projection bias…on many levels…

  • D_C_Wilson

    I still very much doubt he didn’t have health coverage beforehand, which would make him a liar and an idiot for thinking people won’t eventually find out he’s had coverage all along.

  • muselet

    From the TPM story:

    So as one tax expert put it to the Huffington Post: “For whatever reason, Matt Drudge has decided to give the government an interest-free loan.”

    I’m going with “idiot.”

    –alopecia

  • mdblanche

    “I don’t expect Drudge will actually forgo Obamacare for life. I expect he’ll sign up at the end of January in 2017.”

    I see what you did there.