The Most Libertarian Thing Today

bcs_rand_ron_paul

Without a doubt, Ron Paul saying that Russia has the law on its side for its invasion of Ukraine is the most libertarian thing today. And there’s a side of conspiracy theory.

via Mediaite

Paul said that the United States and the West have engaged in hypocrisy and alleged that they participated in the overthrow of Viktor Yanukovich’s government. He added that Russian President Vladimir Putin has “some law on his side” in Crimea because Russia held a lease on a naval base in the Crimean city of Sevastopol.

“This whole thing that Putin is the big cause of the trouble, and yet there’s pretty good evidence that the Europeans as well as the American government had to contrive to have the overthrow of a government that most people say had been elected,” Paul asserted.

For context, Russia has blocked critical websites and sacked journalists today and is massing men and equipment on the border of Ukraine proper. They could invade the country at any time, not just the Crimean peninsula.

Will they still have the law on their side if they invade the rest of the country? Maybe not, but I’m sure libertarians will come up with some other way to excuse it.

What does Team Snowdenwald have to say about Russia firing journalists and blocking critical websites?

There’s only so far you can take the “…but Iraq” excuse Greenwald regularly makes.

This entry was posted in Ron Paul, Russia, Wingnuts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • dubstub

    I’m not sure I’d agree with Paul’s interpretation of International Law here, but can someone please explain what makes this position The Most Libertarian Thing? Sure, Ron Paul is a Libertarian, and he said this thing, but I’m not sure it’s a particularly Libertarian thing that he said. And what does Greenwald have to do with this, really? That seems like a stretch. I’d be happy to have it explained though.

    • elgallorojo

      Greenwald is The Hated One around this center-right site. They’re obsessed, obviously.

      • JMAshby

        Center-right? Ha!

        Apparently all it takes is to mention Greenwald in a negative light and all of a sudden you’re center-right. Never mind everything else we cover here.

        But that’s typical. Your issue is the most important issue so fuck all the others, right?

        • Lady Willpower

          Wow, they’re insane.

      • Churchlady320

        Being critical of the hypocrisy of a man who loved Bush’s invasion of Iraq, never said a peep over torture, and has allied himself with far right and now Russian dictatorial powers HARDLY makes this site ‘center right’ but actually thoughtful, progressive, and principled. I imagine that matters to you not at all, but hey – it’s the truth.

      • Sabyen91

        You should reflect on your libertarian-right hero before smearing others as right.

    • i_a_c

      Maybe it was tongue-in-cheek (the Most Libertarian Thing)? Because Ron Paul claims to hate imperialism, unless it’s Russia doing it, then he’s willing to make up bullshit excuses like “well Russia has a base there.”

      • JMAshby

        ^ Yes, he got it.

        Essentially: libertarians are completely full of shit. For them law is malleable. Sometimes the law can justify a heinous act and sometimes the law is the problem because it prevents you from performing a heinous act.

      • Churchlady320

        Libertarians and EmoProgs are finally going way over the line on this “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” thingy. Hating Barak Obama just does NOT make it rational to love and defend Putin. That is just batshit crazy, and there’s no way around it.

        • js hooper

          I’m loving it though.Their agenda couldn’t be any more blatant and shameless.It’s beautiful because they have denied their true intentions for YEARS now.Wildly lashing out and accusing anyone who pointed it out as “authoritarians”.

          The firebagger / ratfucker / libertarian – Greenwaldian crew couldn’t restrain themselves and has finally jumped the shark so egregiously that it can’t be denied or explained away.

  • Badgerite

    Suppose Barack Obama, with tax dollars, decided that he should have a nicer place to live so he started building a personal estate, at tax payers expense, with a private zoo, a large farm, hunting reserve, bowling alley, expensive car collection, and the various ‘Sun King’ accoutrements ? I wonder what Rand would say? And suppose there was a protest in Washington DC about this and Barack Obama ordered US troops to fire on those protesters and 70 people were killed?
    If that were to happen in the US, would Rand be just fine with that. My God, these are people that freak out over the Affordable Care Act.
    So it seems to me there is a great deal of hypocrisy here. But the hypocrisy involves the double standard of what we would accept for ourselves versus what we expect Ukrainian citizens to accept.

    • nathkatun7

      “So it seems to me there is a great deal of hypocrisy here.”

      I think you are being overly generous! I have no problem calling them shameless hypocrites.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Hey, we still have a base in Cuba, so I guess Crazy Grandpa Paul and his Whacky Jalopy wouldn’t have any problem if Obama ordered an invasion tomorrow, right?

    • nathkatun7

      Believe me, although right wingers hate Cuba, if President Obama dared to invade Cuba, right wingers would still go crazy denouncing the President! They would, of course be joined by the “purity progressives.”

        This was going to be my point too. Don’t we lease bases in other countries all over the world? Is it okay for us to invade countries because we have a leased base? Of course not. If we did invade Cuba I’m sure they would not only join with the Progressive Purity Brigade (TM?) but that they’d say stupid shit like they ‘stand with their Cuban brothers’, who just happen to be, eeeeek, communists, and they’d do so without blinking an eye.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Is it okay for us to invade countries because we have a leased base? Of course not.

          Of course of course not.

          I lease a car. Doesn’t mean General Motors gets to take over my house.