This is CNN

Picard and Riker Facepalm

CNN’s coverage of the missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370 has been comparable to their coverage of the infamous Poop Cruise, but this is going a bit far even for them.

Asked and answered, CNN host Don Lemon “just put it out there” to Brad Meltzer of the Aliens History Channel that the supernatural power of god may have made flight 370 disappear.

“Especially today, on a day when we deal with the supernatural, we go to church, the supernatural power of God. You deal with all of that,” Lemon said to Meltzer. “People are saying to me, why aren’t you talking about the possibility — and I’m just putting it out there — that something odd happened to this plane, something beyond our understanding?”

“We all kind of roll our eyes at conspiracy theories, but what conspiracy theories do is they ask the hardest, most outrageous questions sometimes,” Meltzer responded. “But every once in a while they’re right. I think why it’s captured our attention is because there’s no logical explanation right now.”

“I’m not one of those believers that aliens came down or anything like that,” he added. “But you do have to stop and go, how does a jetliner with almost 200 people on it just disappear? How are they just gone?”

How are they just gone?

I’m no expert but I suspect if the plane is indeed at the bottom of the fucking ocean, it would probably appear as if they’re “just gone.”

This entry was posted in The Media and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Robert Scalzi

    so friday it was a toy plane ( all weekend too) and on Monday they trot out I smoked meth for 6 days, dropped 25 hits of acid and then watched ET Guy ?? Wow, Just ….Wow

  • Ipecac

    Ah, yes, the old “We don’t know, therefore God” argument. It’s the religious answer to everything. In this case, though, it’s even more stupid than usual.

    Sheesh.

  • muselet

    Please tell me CNN isn’t still calling itself “The Most Trusted Name in News,” because that would be just pathetic at this point.

      I still can’t get over the fact that the History Channel still calls itself the History Channel.

  • Nefercat

    ““We all kind of roll our eyes at conspiracy theories…”

    Well, no, no you don’t. If it will get a click on a mouse or remote control, you will spritz on some hairspray and put on your Very Serious Birdbrain face and jabber away.

    “People are saying to me, why aren’t you talking about the possibility — and I’m just putting it out there — that something odd happened to this plane, something beyond our understanding?”

    Well, how about because at this time, there are a number of plausible possibilities that are not beyond the understanding of sane people? How about because you are (allegedly) a news channel, not the National Enquirer and maybe Batboy didn’t drag the plane away to his cave on Mars? How about because it is reasonable to allow a longer time frame for answers than the attention span of toddler-brained Americans?

  • zirgar

    To quote doctor Gregory House, “There’s always a rational answer for things, we just don’t always know what the answer is.” Actually, I may have paraphrased here, but you get the idea.

  • Olivia

    They don’t have the guts to say that the Rapture occurred(finally) and the people on that plane were the only ones chosen to go to heaven.

      Ha! That would be such sweet, sweet justice for the Christianists.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Now don’t be ridiculous. There’s no way our Christian dominionist friends could believe that the plane was raptured. Most of the passengers weren’t even white!

    • bbiemeret

      HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

  • 1933john

    I believe it was……………Natural Selection!

    • D_C_Wilson

      Unfortunately, natural selection works too slowly to weed people like Don Lemon out of the gene pool.

      • 1933john

        The aircraft disaperece was Natural Selection, over.

  • Rollo Tamasi

    That is just insanity. Now, if the flight went through the Bermuda Triangle that would make more sense, cause that’s really real.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “People are saying to me, why aren’t you talking about the possibility…

    What people? Name three.

    Come one, show some courage for once, just once, and own what you’re saying instead of hiding behind the vague “some people” dodge.

  • Christopher Foxx

    But you do have to stop and go, how does a jetliner with almost 200 people on it just disappear? How are they just gone?”

    And what is so wrong with the answer being “I don’t know.”? Why is the prospect of that so scary, so crap-your-pants terrifying to you that you have to make shit up out of whole cloth to “explain” it?

    What happened to it? We don’t know. We’re working to find out. We hope to have an explanation sometime. But for right now, we don’t know. Deal with it.