This Was The Week Edward Snowden Went Full Max Headroom

Cult of personality:

Arises when an individual uses mass media, propaganda, or other methods, to create an idealized and heroic public image, often through unquestioning flattery and praise.

Russian translation: kulʾt líchnosti

TED/Snowden

This past week, Edward Snowden made an appearance via BEAM telepresence robot at the TED(Technology, Entertainment, Design)conference where he was reportedly received with a standing ovation from people who think New FISA Coke is so 1984, Daddio.

Saving the issues of voter suppression, industrial pollution, income inequality and anti-abortion legislation for the day when we’re all finally free from the chains of Obama’s war on white people problems, the stage was set for some real leader shipping and handling.

In robot Snowden’s own disembodied words:

“If I had to describe myself, I wouldn’t use words like “hero.” I wouldn’t use “patriot,” and I wouldn’t use “traitor.” I’d say I’m an American and I’m a citizen, just like everyone else.”

And then the feed malfunctioned and all he kept saying was, “ca-ca-ca-ca-catch the wave!”

giphy

The end.

This entry was posted in International Relations, Internet, NSA, Privacy, Technology, Telecommunications and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Lady Willpower

    I wouldn’t use words like ‘hero’ or ‘patriot’ but my publicist Glenn Greenwald is here to ensure that everyone else does.”

    • ruth crocker

      exactly! I wouldn’t, but please, don’t let me stop you, go ahead!

  • missliberties

    Mike Rogers posits on national TV that Snowden is in cahoots with Russian intel. That seems perfectly plausible to me.

    Does this mean that Greenwald has been aiding and abetting Russia in his desire for a new world order, ala Julinne Assange.

    These people give me the freaking creeps AND they are fooling liberals.

    Snowden/Greenwald human rights activists!!!! That is why Greenwald is so upset about the plight of the Ukranian people.

    Greenwald cultists have been duped.

    • muselet

      Well, this is the same Mike Rogers who says we should arm the Ukrainian army, presumably because we haven’t had a splendid little war in far too long, so I’d take anything he says with several hogsheads of salt (yes, even about Edward Snowden).

      However, I do agree with your larger point that liberals are getting played by glibertarians and other assorted hucksters.

      –alopecia

    • mdblanche

      I wouldn’t be surprised if Snowden is in cahoots with Russian intel now. I doubt that was his original intention but he may not have a choice in the matter any longer.

      I wouldn’t be surprised if some of his handlers had been hoping to steer him in that direction, Assange and his circle especially.

      • ruth crocker

        i came to that conclusion when it came out that he visited the russian embassy in Hong Kong. i also think he had help getting his stash – face it, he’s not that bright.

  • Badgerite

    The latest ‘revelation’ was that the NSA has been tapping into the servers of a Chinese company that is suspected of doing just what the NSA was doing which is putting back doors into their technology that Chinese Intelligence Services can later access. This was a part of the NSA defense against cyber attacks and has nothing at all to do with the 4th Amendment, but whatever.
    As an American citizen, I am appalled by this guys actions. The TED talks also went all mushy over the ‘Arab Spring’, even though it actually resulted in Islamic fundamentalists coming to power in Egypt. I understand self determination but I also think that concept does not include the right to dismantle the fundamental rights of the individual and individual conscience and freedom by majority vote.

    • ruth crocker

      Check out the reader comments in the NYT chinese servers story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/world/asia/nsa-breached-chinese-servers-seen-as-spy-peril.html. That used to be a snowden fan club convention, but now many of his supporters have moved him from the “patriot to the ” traitor column”, having finally noticed that so many of these leaks have nothing to do with american civil liberties, and are harming our country.

      • Badgerite

        About ffffing time. Pardon my French. I get a little tired of being called a ‘sheeple’ by people who couldn’t think for themselves if their lives depended on it. Thanks for the link.

  • ruth crocker

    I’d say if he still considers himself an american, as he claims, he should stfu and stop taking shots at his own government while we’re having a situation with host country.

    • Sabyen91

      He should visit his homeland…