What War on Women?

There is only one single clinic that performs abortions remaining in the entire state of Missouri, but Missouri Republicans are going after it with pitchforks and torches.

The state is currently considering 32 different anti-choice bills. And, since there’s only one abortion clinic left in Missouri, all of that legislation will end up targeting a single reproductive health facility. [...]

According to the Guttmacher Institute, Missouri has introduced more anti-abortion bills than nearly every other state in the country so far this year. The majority of the proposed laws are specifically focused on restricting and regulating the abortion clinic remaining in St. Louis.

The most ridiculous and hypocritical bill put forth by state lawmakers, in my opinion, is one that would increase criminal penalties for medical malpractice at the clinic.

Why is that hypocritical? Because the Republican party more or less hates the very idea of malpractice. The party has railed, primarily in Congress, against malpractice and has demanded tort reform on an annual basis for as long as I can remember. Now they want to increase malpractice penalties.

Until Democrats regain control of legislatures and the anti-choice culture war dies down, I’d like to see a new wave of philanthropy aimed not at foreign countries but at states right here in America where wealthy donors could keep lone clinics afloat against attacks on their financial stability.

Short of retaking state houses, I don’t know what other solution there is.

This entry was posted in Abortion, War On Women and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Depending on how these laws are written, they may be able to fight back by charging that the law targets a specific business, which I think is prohibited. For example, Congress or a state Legislature can’t make a law to regulate McDonalds but it can make a law to regulate the fast food industry. Maybe it won’t matter how it’s written, since they’re the only clinic, the implicit targeting may be enough. But that’s the legal angle. Overall, it’s just absolutely horrid that there is only one clinic in the entire state. Some other states are approaching the same status like Texas.

    • mrbrink

      There’s one clinic left in Missouri. They’ve already won. Now they’re just following the issue around berating it in defeat. They’re sickos. Like circling hyenas toying with their prey. The only thing that will fix it is an electoral lobotomy.

        Well then I’m ready, electoral scapel in hand!

  • D_C_Wilson

    What’s truly ironic is that republcians are deliberately doing what they’ve longed accused democrats of: Passing laws that force businesses to shut down destroy jobs. And that’s not even counting the toll on women who depend on these clinics for non-abortion services like cancer screeners, or the number of back alley abortions that will inevitably occur.
    Short of the democrats retaking some state legislatures, I can only see two ways out for women:
    1) The Supreme Court steps in an rules these laws violate the undue burden test of the Casey decision (Highly unlikely unless at least two Reagan/Bush appointees get hit by a bus this year) or;
    2) Private organizations raise millions of dollars to help clinics meet these new requirements.

    Of course, even if option 2 happens, the GOP will just get more creative in how they write these laws to get the same result.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Republcians are deliberately doing what they’ve longed accused democrats of: Passing laws that force businesses to shut down destroy jobs.

      Which is one way Democrats should spin this: “Republicans are killing jobs. They are passing laws designed to put businesses out of business.”

      unless at least two Reagan/Bush appointees get hit by a bus this year

      Sounds like a plan.

  • Christopher Foxx

    there’s only one abortion clinic left in Missouri

    Of course, it isn’t really an abortion clinic. Abortions aren’t the only (or even main) health care service they provide. The provide a whole variety of health services for women including cancer screening, colposcopys, Pap tests, testing and treatment for urinary track infections, menopause, etc. As well as services for men.

    But, of course, folks opposed to all these things must refer to it, incorrectly as an “abortion” clinic. And articles, like the one quoted from, and many folks opposed to these actions go right along with this.

    • Brutlyhonest

      We’ve had the discussion about words meaning stuff before, and you’re absolutely correct. The right-wing propaganda/[perception management machine knows how to use words well and they control the narrative.

      Notice, however, that Ashby correctly refers to the clinics despite the quoted text using the common, incorrect terminology.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Yes. When making my previous comment I looked for someplace in the article where Ashby had used the phrase to use as an example of my point, but was unable to find one. Kudos to Ashby.