Cardinal Timothy Dolan is Clueless

ChristianValues

It’s not entirely surprising that a major figurehead of the clergy would be clueless on contraception, but this is glaring.

New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan appeared on Face the Nation yesterday to defend Hobby Lobby and during his interview he revealed that he doesn’t really have any idea what he’s talking about.

“I think they’re just true Americans,” he told host Norah O’Donnell of Hobby Lobby’s owners, who claim that providing emergency contraceptive pills violates their religious beliefs. “Is the ability to buy contraceptives, that are now widely available—my Lord, all you have to do is walk into a 7-11 or any shop on any street in America and have access to them—is that right to access those and have them paid for, is that such a towering good that it would suffocate the rights of conscience?”

As you’re probably aware, you cannot walk into 7-11 or “any shop” on any street and buy Plan B or birth control. Birth control requires a prescription and Plan B is only sold at pharmacies.

Furthermore, Cardinal Dolan doesn’t understand that the company is not who pays for contraception. Employees pay for insurance and the insurance company pays for contraception.

If you were to argue that an employer contribution indirectly funds contraception, you could also say a paycheck does. The only way to escape this conundrum is to stop hiring women. Good luck with that.

If the social media department at 7-11 is good they’ll use this to sell people coffee and slurpees.

(‘toon via Nick Anderson)

This entry was posted in Healthcare, Religion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    I honestly want to know why someone who took a vow to never have sex with a woman should be taken seriously as an expert on the subject of contraceptives.

    • Sabyen91

      I am glad you included “with a woman.”

      • Churchlady320

        True – but in theory they cannot have sex with any creature at all.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Well, with the Roman Catholic Church, you can never been sure.

    • Churchlady320

      They took vows of celibacy that rules out sex, period. That of course makes them even LESS a fount of wisdom on these issues.

      • D_C_Wilson

        True (at least in theory), but a woman needs to be involved somewhere for contraceptives to be an issue.

  • Ellen Kuhlmann

    I heard the Cardinal on the show yesterday. I thought he must have been referring to condoms but maybe I’m giving him too much credit. He was also praising Jeb Bush and said he’d like him to run for president, so you know where his political leanings are.

    • KarenJ

      Considering the fact that the discussion was about women and THEIR access to contraception, I doubt the Cardinal was thinking about that one frail barrier to conception that men reluctantly use.

    • Maike Hudson

      To the Cardinal and Rush Limbaugh, with their male-centric world view, contraception equals condoms.

  • jomike

    Props to Norah O’Donnell: (from transcript http://www.cbsnews.com/news/face-the-nation-transcripts-april-20-2014/2/ )

    CARDINAL DOLAN: I would be inspired by the Hobby Lobby…I think they’re just true Americans… (blah blah blah)

    NORAH O’DONNELL: But doesn’t that set a dangerous precedent, if a private company can use religion to deny benefits to its employees.

    CARDINALDOLAN: It could. As you know, they’re arguing that…and the Supreme Court, in the past, if I understand correctly, has said in general, the bias is on the side of the rights of conscience and religious liberty (blah blah blah)

    Zing! I doubt Dancin’ Dave would’ve had the presence of mind (never mind the guts) to put the Cardinal on the spot like that.

    • Christopher Foxx

      But doesn’t that set a dangerous precedent, if a private company can use religion to deny benefits to its employees

      A company doesn’t have religious beliefs. So it shouldn’t be able to use religion as the grounds for anything.

  • Badgerite

    Just to see a doctor so that they can take all of two minutes writing you a prescription can cost $200-$300. And you do need a prescription. I have never seen birth control pills available at a
    7-11. Maybe he’s thinking of condoms.

    • Churchlady320

      With ACA it should cost nothing. There’s the problem. They don’t WANT you to exercise YOUR religious or moral values, only theirs. They don’t pay for contraception. It’s in the package, period. They are fine with some kind of public relations gimmick that makes them ‘victims’ of not having to pay but allowing YOU to – gasp – exercise free conscience on your own. But if they succeed, they will force their employer religious values onto you, a CLEAR violation of the Civil Rights Act that so far prevents this kind of trampling of employees by employers.

      • Badgerite

        Yes, I think you are right. And it seems to me that they are now going after contraception in this country by the same method that they went after the availability of abortion. I could at least under stand their strong feelings with respect to abortion. But contraception is a whole different ball of wax. It does not entail another incipient life ( will be life eventually if nothing intervenes to end pregnancy). Contraception is clearly about choice. There are no ‘right to life’ implications at all. They are simply trying to make it difficult for women to have the choice of when and if they will bear children. And I think this is a clear violation of the right to control ones own actions based on one’s own religious beliefs and one’s own aspirations in life. And I think it is meant to be just that.

        • Christopher Foxx

          But contraception is a whole different ball of wax. It does not entail another incipient life

          If someone is truly opposed to abortion because they see it as taking a life, then they should be adamantly in favor of contraception. Whether “life begins at conception” or some later point, it doesn’t begin at all if conception is prevented.

          When someone claims they’re opposed to abortion, and also opposes contraception, they you know it’s not really abortion they’re opposed to. What they’re opposed to is sex and letting other people have control of their own lives.

          • Badgerite

            I know. I think that is exactly what they are opposed to. Especially women being in control of their own lives.

          • Christopher Foxx

            No uncertainty needed. Controlling women’s sex lives *IS* what they want.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “I think they’re just true Americans,” he told host Norah O’Donnell

    “True” Americans? You can pretty much stop reading right there.

    Because according to Dolan whether you’re a citizen doesn’t depend on where you were born. CItizenship is based on opinion: If you don’t think the right things (i.e., agree with Dolan) then you’re not an American.

  • Christopher Foxx

    The only way to escape this conundrum is to stop hiring women. Good luck with that.

    No, even that won’t do it. Because the husband/boyfriend/whoever would use their paycheck to pay for the insurance that paid for the medicine.

    That anyone thinks a company has any say on how an employee spends their paycheck is ludicrous. That this ridiculousness didn’t get laughed out of court the first time it was brought up just shows how nonsensical the US has become.

  • muselet

    It doesn’t matter that Cardinal Dolan is clueless about contraception. It doesn’t matter that Hobby Lobby’s insurance covered contraception before The Black Guy! went and made it mandatory and therefore an OUTRAGE AGAINST RELIGION!. Those are shiny objects meant to distract the rest of us.

    Griswold v. Connecticut is the ultimate target of the fetus fetishists. Always has been, always will be.

    –alopecia

  • chasjay

    I don’t think Cardinal Timouthy Dolan knows anything about what he is willing to pontificate about. He knows he likes the sound of his own voice and he keeps talking.