Christie’s Law Firm Donated to RGA Before They Cleared Him

FortLee

Chris Christie and his associates are known for being brazen, but this is really tempting fate.

via NorthJersey.com

Nine days before a team of its top lawyers made public a report clearing Governor Christie in the George Washington Bridge scandal, the law firm donated $10,000 to the Republican Governors Association, a group he heads.

Gibson Dunn & Crutcher made its donation March 18. [...]

The law firm is being paid $650 an hour for its work but has not yet submitted any bills to the state.

Isn’t that nice?

While taxpayers pay Gibson Dunn & Crutcher to clear Christie’s name, that money is essentially turned around and given to the Republican Governors Association.

New Jersey taxpayers will inadvertently donate to the RGA whether they want to or not.

I may be biased but I can’t see how this could possibly be ethical. Gibson Dunn & Crutcher has not donated to the Democratic Governors Association.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, Ethics and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gescove

    Ethical? How is it even legal?

  • Christopher Foxx

    …that money is essentially turned around and given to the Republican Governors Association.

    New Jersey taxpayers will inadvertently donate to the RGA whether they want to or not.

    Christie is an arrogant scumbag even without the bridge. But your’e stretching it on both those points.

    At $650/hr a $10,000 donation is less than 2 days work in a law firm that bills millions a year and donates to several organizations. Saying the specific dollars paid for the bridge investigation were the ones donated to the RGA, or that any quid pro quo happened, is reaching.

    Suggesting the the NJ taxpayers are donating to the RGA is akin to saying Hobby Lobby pays for a woman’s medicines. NJ paid money to the law firm, and you can make a case that that shouldn’t have happened. But what the firm does with the money they’ve earned is a depearate thing. It’s not taxpayer money any more.

    • JMAshby

      I didn’t say it was illegal, I said it was unethical. And it is. While they’re clearing his good name, they’re being paid handsomely and donating to the RGA which Christie is the chairman of. It’s a circle jerk of favors which state taxpayers are facilitating. The law firm is representing their head of state.

      You’d have to be naive to not see an ethical dilemma here.

      • Christopher Foxx

        I didn’t say it was illegal, I said it was unethical.

        And I didn’t say you said it was illegal, so you’re off base there. And I did say you could make a case that taxpayer money going to the law firm shouldn’t have happened, so your “You’d have to be naive to not see an ethical dilemma here” is you again criticizing me for something I didn’t do.

        If you’d like to comment on the things I did say, I’d be happy to compare discuss our differing points of view there (to whatever extent they actually differ). But you’ll have to stear clear of misreading what I wrote and comlaining about what you imagine I said.

  • Draxiar

    I won’t be surprised if it comes out that Christie owns a waste management company.