Cliven Bundy Tells Us What He Knows About “the Negro”

RanchRhetoric

Conservative Ghandi, icon, and hero Cliven Bundy had a thing or two to say about "the Negro" during a daily news conference attended by just one New York Times reporter.

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” he said. Mr. Bundy recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he asked. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

say-what

For the record, I don’t find this the least bit shocking. Not the racism or the hypocrisy.

After all, there’s not necessarily a great deal of daylight between what Bundy said about “the Negro” and what Paul Ryan said about the generations of lazy inner city men who were supposedly never taught the value of work.

What should be truly entertaining to witness is the contortions and acrobatics that every conservative pundit, politician, and shock jock engage in to walk-back their undying love of Cliven Bundy. Fox News host Sean Hannity in particular fell on his sword for Cliven while others referred to Bundy as the new Ghandi or the second-coming of the founding fathers.

I assume the armed lunatics who showed up at the Bundy ranch and aimed their rifles at federal agents are honorary Klansmen so I won’t be waiting for them to backpedal.

Update... here's video of Bundy's remarks via Media Matters

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gescove

    Holy hell. He actually said that out loud… in an interview with the New York Times, no less?

    • JMAshby

      Technically it was a news conference, but it was attended by just one single reporter. Struggle conference.

  • gescove

    Adding… Bundy supporter Sen. Rand Paul was suddenly mute. “A spokesman for Mr. Paul, informed of Mr. Bundy’s remarks, said the senator was not available for immediate comment.” Oops.

    • missliberties

      That’s progress. At least.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Has anyone checked to see of Bundy was ever a contributor to Ron Paul’s racist newsletter?

    • i_a_c

      The Pauls agree with every word of this. They won’t say so, of course.

  • Clancy

    “I assume the armed lunatics who showed up at the Bundy ranch and aimed their rifles at federal agents are honorary Klansmen so I won’t be waiting for them to backpedal.” Ashby, as a Westerner who must frequently interact with yahoos like these guys, I can tell you truer words have not been written. At best, they will get angry for calling them on their racism. That’s race-baiting, don’t you know?

  • missliberties

    I guess you could say the beauty of free speech is that this guy just keeps talking.

    Give him credit for being willing to say what he honestly believes. That’s the right wing talking point about welfare dependency, in a nutshell.

  • muselet

    I’d have been surprised if Cliven Bundy didn’t hold such opinions, and I’m only slightly surprised that he would state them out loud, even to a friendly audience:

    He said he would continue holding a daily news conference; on Saturday, it drew one reporter and one photographer, so Mr. Bundy used the time to officiate at what was in effect a town meeting with supporters, discussing, in a long, loping discourse, the prevalence of abortion, the abuses of welfare and his views on race.

    As Aasif Mandvi famously asked, “You know that we can hear you, right?”

    I expect Sean Hannity and most of Bundy’s enablers to make this a story about how the big, bad, mean New York Times only quoted thirty seconds of Bundy’s remarks out of context! instead of focusing on his overall theme of governmental overreach blah blah blah.

      One of the dangers of only talking to friendly audiences is that you lose perspective of what the world outside of the bubble considers acceptable. I’ll bet the BLM had already heard an earful of his racist opinions and figured, instead of getting into a Ruby Ridge-style standoff, it was better to back off and give him enough rope to hang himself.

      • j hentai

        it might also explain why they had weapons

  • bbiemeret

    If the “Negro”, as Bundy so eloquently stated, is apathetic, is is due to generations of toiling away, only to have nothing to show for it. I know some like to point out the somewhat recent, and widely visible, squandering of wealth by some of the few African Americans to have it to squander, but this completely ignores the generations who did back-breaking work, first as slaves, then as indentured servants, then as poorly paid and treated workers.

    If your tires are spinning in the mud, giving it more gas just uses all your gas, or blows your engine completely.

    Most minorities, not all, but a large majority, make the effort most of their lives, pushing against an immovable object called disenfranchisement, all while watching their white counterparts sail past them in the White Priviledge H.O.V. lane. This eventually affects one’s perception of fair and unfair, right and wrong, legal and illegal.

    • j hentai

      and then the “robertson” court comes along and pisses on your (our) concept of right or wrong

  • Nefercat

    “are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things”

    Bundy, you stupid, drooling fuck, if your owner can sell your spouse or children away from you on a whim and has the power to decide everything you do, you will not be “having a family life” and “doing things” (that you choose to do).

    What a worthless waste of carbon.

    • Scopedog

      “What a worthless waste of carbon.”

      Or, as a good friend said, “This is what two million years of human evolution led to? Shit….”

  • D_C_Wilson

    Tonight on Hannity’s America: Cliven who?

    • Rollo Tamasi

      No, they’ll spin it as what Bundy said was not racist and everyone who says it is playing the race card.

      • Da Dorq

        Or, that the Democrats killed the real Bundy and replaced him with this obvious left-wing plant who was ordered to say these awful things in order to distract from Benghazi

    • OooSillyMe

      Hannity will spin it so that it’s all Obama’s fault…

  • Draxiar

    Amazing how it only took one cotton-picking minute of air time for Mr. Bundy to scatter the right-wing talking heads like roaches.

  • Zen Diesel

    It was just his lack of media training according to Dana Loesch: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/dana-loesch-cliven-bundy-not-media-trained-105985.html?hp=l1

    • Clancy

      Is the base premise of Loesch’s argument that, “All us conservatives have these thoughts, but we need to learn not to actually say them out loud”? Because, that’s what it seems like she’s saying.

      • i_a_c

        Exactly. They have learned to use coded phrases and dogwhistles. Shame that Bundy hasn’t had the same training.

  • Da Dorq

    I love how right-wingers are defending him on THIS issue by saying, “Well, he’s not a polished speaker used to talking in front cameras and groups of people and whatnot so he may not properly articulate how he really thinks and feels.” So, this only applies when he says racially insensitive things, but his antagonistic views on the federal government are perfectly and clearly articulated and expressed? I don’t buy it. It seems they want it both ways with this guy.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Just using the term “the negro” in 2014 should qualify as racist.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Wow that is so stunning (not really).