Florida GOP: Let’s Arm Everyone During Riots

Here’s an idea: let’s get as many guns as possible out on the street during a riot or natural disaster.

Florida lawmakers are apparently very keen on that idea.

HB 209, which is expected to be voted on Friday by the Florida House, would allow people with clean criminal backgrounds to conceal firearms without a permit during emergencies — including riots and civil unrest like the 1996 racial disturbances that rocked south St. Petersburg — declared by the governor or local officials.

“To allow people to go into a riot while concealing a gun without a permit is the definition of insanity,” said Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri. “The bill is crazy. It’s absurd.”

You’re damn right it’s absurd. What could go wrong? About a million things. Let’s not forget Florida is a Stand Your Ground state.

What happens when you put a gun in every hand during a riot when murder is legalized? Is the Florida legislature expecting riots to occur sometime soon?

PicardWTF

This entry was posted in Guns and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Something I can’t help noticing about pro-gun Second-Amendment-absolutist arguments.

    HB 209, which is expected to be voted on Friday by the Florida House, would allow people with clean criminal backgrounds to conceal firearms without a permit during emergencies[.]

    They always manage to work that in. They always deny believing that anyone and everyone, regardless of their criminal or psychiatric history, should have unlimited, uninhibited access to guns.

    Yet try proposing any imaginable means of attempting to see to it that those with criminal and psychiatric histories can’t or don’t get guns, and you’re a freedom-hating authoritarian gun grabber.

    Same thing with discrete weapon types. Gun fans will deny up and down that they believe everyone has a “right to keep and bear” any and all manner of weaponry up to and including nuclear bombs. Yet they aggressively and vociferously reject any attempt to define, categorize, or distinguish weapons which non-military and non-police people should not be allowed to have.

    In other words, they deny being against all gun controls, yet they are against any gun controls that anyone can actually think of. They’re not against keeping guns out of the hands of people who shouldn’t have them; they’re just against any and every possible means of actually trying to make that happen.

    • JMAshby

      Everyone is a “good guy with a gun” up until the point they pull the trigger.

      • Brutlyhonest

        When they pull the trigger, they become heroes.

        • trgahan

          Apparently, only if the person shooting and the person shot are the right skin colors respectively.

  • muselet

    Florida Legislature: There is no situation which cannot be improved by adding more firearms.

    –alopecia

  • WiscoJoe

    How soon before the Florida GOP introduces legislation to make ‘The Purge’ a reality?

    • Zen Diesel

      My thoughts exactly, “The Purge: SYG”

  • aynwrong

    It’s as though the writers of this law saw the movie “The Purge” and thought its basic premise would make a good law.

  • Sabyen91

    Wow, Florida Man is going to be busy.

  • i_a_c

    Why is Florida so fucked up? All the crazy went there and Arizona. Along with people’s pensions, it seems.

    • JMAshby

      Theory: all the old white retirees who fear people of color.

      • i_a_c

        Well, at least you said it and not me.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Of the 50 states, Florida does have the highest percentage of folks over 65 (18% of the population). Arizona comes in near the middle, #22 with 13%. But Arizona does come in 8th for most immigrants.

        I suspect it’s a combination of the two. Older folks and/or more immigrants.

    • Toolymegapoopoo

      I read this and I was like “this is even too crazy for Florida. This must be The Onion.” Nope. Facepalm.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Another reason why I will never, ever step foot in Florida.

  • Robert Scalzi

    So thankful to live almost as far away from Florida as I can be in the continental USA, not only geographically but also ideologically.

  • trgahan

    Makes sense….instead of law inforcement dealing with a riot they will have to spend their time sorting out which roving armed amateurs have “clean criminal backgrounds.”

    I’d also like to see how terms riot and civil unrest are defined. Our country has a history of calling peaceful protests riots/unrest if the “wrong” people are protesting the “wrong” things….

  • Badgerite

    This has to be an NRA ‘brain’ child. Who else?