GOP Senate Candidates: We’ll Block Nominees Who Aren’t Sufficiently Crazy

Picard and Riker Facepalm

Out of the four Republicans running for the contested Senate seat in Iowa, three of them would block any judicial nominee that isn’t a Jesus Freak.

The Iowa-based Religious Right group The Family Leader held a forum for Republican US Senate candidates on Friday, at which the group’s view that “God instituted government” figured heavily. In fact, nearly every candidate at the debate vowed that if they were to be elected to the Senate they would block federal judicial nominees who do not follow what they perceive as “natural law” or a “biblical view of justice.”

In the year 2014 this would narrow the field of acceptable nominees to almost no one. At least not anyone that’s actually qualified.

The head of the Family Leader is Bob Vander Plaats. Plaats, as you may recall, pressured GOP presidential candidates into signing a marriage fidelity pledge in 2012. He later tweaked the language of that pledge so thrice-married Newt Gingrich would become eligible.

This is who we’re up against. Swallow your pride and vote for a blue dog if you have to.

This entry was posted in Justice, Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://barkbarkwoofwoof.com/ Mustang Bobby

    Aren’t these the same people that got all freaked out by the possibility of Sharia law being imposed on them? What are they worried about, copyright infringement?

    • Badgerite

      These people and the Muslim Brotherhood actually have a lot in common. Different religions. Same approach. The government is supposed to be instituting ‘God’s law’, not man’s. Government based on the Bible. Government based on the Koran. Somehow, they don’t see this as the same thing.
      But, of course, some of them also think that God talks to them and tells them to get
      people to attack the toll booths at Yellowstone. And that black people would be better off if they just learned how to pick cotton as it would give them something to do.

  • whoknowsanything

    Bruce Braley is a solid liberal. The hope is that no republican gets the 35% to win the primary and it goes to the convention. The convention will pick the craziest of the bunch (Clovis is my opinion) and Braley will win.

  • D_C_Wilson

    I have a wacky idea. How about we appoint judges who follow the actual governing document of this country, the Constitution?

    I know, I know. Crazy talk.

    • Churchlady320

      Yeah, you radical you!

  • captkurt

    A ‘biblical view of justice’? I can hardly wait for the Supreme Court Case where they argue the constitutionality of stoning someone to death for committing adultery.

    • Churchlady320

      Those retributions are a very small part of the law. I do kind of like the image of Newt under fire, but it’s the economic justice and working people’s rights they’d REALLY hate.

  • Churchlady320

    Since they are not Christians – to them Jesus was a wuss – they are Dominionists or Old Testamentarians for whom Jesus is just a ‘get out of jail free’ card or maybe only a lapel pin. Given their fondness for tribal law, they are in for a terrible shock when they actually READ much of the law in Deuteronomy. It requires justice for all around you in your economic practice – fair wages (not a privilege but a right); preferential access to the ‘first fruits’ of harvest rather than dumpsters for the poor. Regulated prices and conditions of marketing one’s goods. Forgiveness of debt – Jubilee – is required. One must treat the sick, the orphaned and widowed, and the lame and the halt with great compassion. Now add in Jesus – heal the sick, give all your goods to the poor, and charge NO interest on money lent.

    I’m not thinking they’d like this all that much if they thought about it.