Heads Will Roll

bcs_rand_ron_paul

Mother Jones has obtained videos of Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) speaking to crowds on the campaign trail between 2007 and 2009 during which time he told them Jimmy Carter was better on spending than Ronald Reagan.

PAUL: “The deficit went through the roof under Reagan. So how long did it take Ron Paul to figure out that the guy he had liked, endorsed, campaigned for, campaigned for him? The very first [Reagan] budget. Ron Paul voted “no” against the very first Reagan budget… Everybody loved this “great” budget. It was a $100 billion in debt. This was three times greater than Jimmy Carter’s worst deficit.”

Tell me more!

PAUL: “Some say, well that’s fine, but there were good old days. We did at one time…When we had Reagan, we were fiscal conservatives. Well, unfortunately, even that wasn’t true. When Reagan was elected in 1980, the first bill they passed was called the Gramm-Latta bill of 1981, and Republicans pegged it as this great step forward. Well, Jimmy Carter’s last budget was about $34 or $36 billion in debt. Well, it turns out, Reagan’s first budget turned out to be $110 billion dollars in debt. And each successive year, the deficit rose throughout Reagan’s two terms.

If Rand Paul had been caught in bed with male prostitutes or wearing diapers, it would probably be less controversial than saying anything negative about Ronald Reagan. But Rand didn’t stop there. He said Jimmy Carter was better than Reagan.

Even if that’s true it isn’t going to matter. The name Rand Paul is well on its way to becoming blasphemy.

ColbertPopcorn

This entry was posted in Rand Paul, Stupid Party and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    I just hope this doesn’t fool people into standing with Rand.

  • http://cendax.wordpress.com/ Norbrook

    Besides being true, what was pathetic about that was that Reagan had campaigned moaning about the “horrible” deficit that Carter was running. Of course, historically factual Ronald Reagan bears no relation to Saint Ronald, patron saint of True Conservatism.

  • ruth crocker

    I’m currently reading a biography of Reagan, and can’t help wondering what republicans would have done, if Obama were Reagan and: 1. embassy in beirut blown up, 17 americans killed, marined guarding facility didn’t have bullets in guns; 2. marine barracks in beirut blown up 200? americans killed; 3. russians shoot down civilian airliner killing lots of Americans and only repercussions are not allowing aeroflot plans to land at US airports;

    • 1933john

      Hey, I remember all that Reagan shit.
      Plus, I watched a televised speech
      by Reagan at a Birch event,
      sponsored by Arco, in 1964
      when Goldbottle was running
      for Grand Wizzard of the USA.

    • D_C_Wilson

      If Obama was responsible for even half of those things, they’d be cursing the fact that they can only impeach and remove him from office once.

    • nathkatun7

      I would like to read the Reagan biography you are reading and also recommend it to people I know who think Ronald Reagan was the greatest President since FDR. I am sure you are aware that Republicans, with the assistance of mainstream media, are already busy writing revisionist history about St. Ronnie. All the things you mentioned will either be left out completely or they will be so twisted to make them appear to be positive accomplishments by St. Ronnie the Great. Those who worship St. Ronnie will also be quick to point out that he defeated the mighty Caribbean Island of Grenada, bombed Libya and killed Gaddafi’s one-year-old child, and, most importantly, he single handedly destroyed the Soviet Union with his Berlin Speech asking Gorbachev to “tear down that wall.”

      • ruth crocker

        It’s Ronald Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination, by Richard Reeves – a very respectful and useful examination of Reagan’s record.

        • nathkatun7

          Thank you, Ruth. I will definitely check it out.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Wow. Taking the name of Saint Ron the infallible in vain. That’s going to leave a mark.

  • Mike_Norris

    He has completely screwed the pooch now.