House Will Pass Ryan’s Fantasy Budget, Again

PathtoPoverty

Fourth time’s a charm?

House Republican leadership said today that they will pass The Path to Poverty 4.0.

“It’ll pass,” Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said during a leadership press conference, answering a reporter’s question that was directed at Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). [...]

Boehner told reporters that the Ryan budget was “essentially the same” as in past years and that leaders face “the same challenges we always have” in getting the votes to pass it.

And, just like the last three iterations of Ryan’s budget-cutting junk-shot, this one won’t become law either.

From a purely political perspective I can’t imagine why they plan to do this because the budget will never become law but it will provide ammunition to Democrats in November. Moreover, they may see significant defections from their own caucus who don’t want to vote for Ryan’s poison pill just as campaign season heats up.

There are very few districts, if any, that Ryan’s budget wouldn’t irreparably harm.

The more than 10 million people now covered under Obamacare makes each successive vote to dismantle the law more toxic. Ryan’s budget would end all expanded Medicaid programs and end the subsidies that make insurance affordable for many people.

This entry was posted in Congress, Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Michael Hiltzik ripped Paul Ryan a new one this morning—as he has with the release of Ryan’s previous budgets—about Ryan’s serial misrepresentations about Social Security.

    The column is worth reading. The comments, not so much (unless you enjoy reading boilerplate glibertarianism mixed with random irrelevancies).

    Perhaps not shocking, the teabaggers are ripping Ryan’s budget because it doesn’t include a provision to sell the organs of poor people to billionaires in need of a transplant and convert the rest into soylent green.

  • mrbrink

    Every time they pass this it’s a declaration of war read from a scroll of toilet paper. The Articles of Hello, We’re Fucking Crazy!

  • Vidya Pradhan

    Are they really calling it Path to Poverty? seems like a Freudian slip.

    • Christopher Foxx

      No, their title is Path to Prosperity (look at the picture). But they lie and Ashby is calling them on it..

  • Christopher Foxx

    Boehner told reporters that the Ryan budget was “essentially the same” as in past years and that leaders face “the same challenges we always have” in getting the votes to pass it.

    Those challenges being: the existence of responsible people who aren’t sociopaths trying to destroy the majority of Americans.