I’m Not Racist, But…

Cliven Bundy appeared on The Peter Schiff Show to clarify his comments and deny that he is a racist, but he said exactly the same things.

BUNDY: “I’m wondering if they’re better off under a government subsidy and their young women are having the abortions and their young men are in jail and their older women and children are sitting out on the cement porch without nothing to do.

I’m wondering: Are they happier now under this government subsidy system than they were when they were when they were slaves and they was able to their family structure together and the chickens and the garden and the people have something to do.

So in my mind, are they better off being slaves in that sense or better off being slaves to the United States government in the sense of the subsidy. I’m wondering. The statement was right. I am wondering.”

I’m not racist, but I wonder if slavery was better for the Negro. At least they had something to do. You know, like back-breaking work in the scorching sun under threat of physical punishment, sexual assault, torture, and death.

I have no doubt that if Cliven Bundy had been alive in the 1800s, he would have housed numerous Negroes at Candy Land out of the goodness of his heart.

Bundy also made an appearance on the Alex Jones show this afternoon because if you’re looking to assuage anyone’s fears that you’re a nutcase, the Alex Jones show is definitely the place to do so.

This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    “…if you’re looking to assuage anyone’s fears that you’re nutcase, the Alex Jones show is definitely the place to do so.”

    Perfect.

  • Toolymegapoopoo

    Even though I’m sure many most of his supporters share his racist views, I have a feeling many of them are going to start putting some space between themselves and Bundy. More than a few of those gun-toting wack-a-loons are going to have to suddenly leave because “something just came up.” Hannity starts in about 5 hours. I may actually watch it for the first time ever.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      I doubt it. They’ll do what they’ve been doing since the days of Lee Atwater. Use coded dog whistles to mask their racism, deny they are racists when confronted with it, then accuse others of being the real racists.

      • Toolymegapoopoo

        Exactly. You never just come out and say the ‘N’ word (even the light version). To be a part of their club you need to use the covert whistles and reverse racism horseshit that you speak of. Their message to Mr. Bundy this evening is “dude, you know we are with you, but because of what you said out loud we can no longer be ‘with’ you. Keep that shit in our secret meetings.”

    • Oscar Jimison

      You’re assuming these jackasses have the sense god gave a slug. There’s a bundy ranch facebook page that’ll prove you wrong.

  • Nefercat

    “they was able to their family structure together”

    No, you stupid damn fool, no they weren’t “able to their family structure together.”

    They were slaves. Slaves. Ponder that, you angry old moron. Their owners could and often did break up their family structures as they saw fit, selling children away from their parents, husbands away from their wives, and wives away from their husbands. These slaves. had. no. say. in these decisions.

    But, by all means, carry on. Ask your buddy Hannity to explain your statements. Explain to anyone who will listen that ol’ buddy ol’ pal Sean agrees with you and so does every grandstanding stupid damn republican that was yapping away in total sympathy with your viewpoints, Bundy.

    • Toolymegapoopoo

      It is such a cliche, but “those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it” is possibly the wisest phrase ever uttered. I propose amending it. Those who fail to learn history probably vote Republican.

  • Robert Scalzi

    Ashby , your last paragraph in this piece is killing me – I haven’t laughed that hard in ages !! Keep up the great work, and thanks for making me smile after reading Bundy’s Schiff/Jones racist rant

  • Christopher Foxx

    Initial comment

    And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy?

    Clarification:

    Are they happier now under this government subsidy system than they were when they were when they were slaves …

    Bundy: “I didn’t mean to say I wonder if Negroes are happier under slavery or getting subsidies. What I meant to say was I wonder if Negros are happier getting subsidies or under slavery.”

    And, of course, it would never occur to him to, y’know, actually ask someone to find out. When wondering about what the Negro thinks, there’s no need to actually ask them.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Maybe Bundy is trying to get a reality TV series to follow “Duck Dynasty.” They could call it “Kattle Klan.”

    • Toolymegapoopoo

      I’d watch it!

  • muselet

    I hope Cliven Bundy doesn’t shoot himself in the foot. He might chip a tooth. *rim shot*

    Bundy might consider doing a little reading before his next media appearance.

    –alopecia

    • Robert Scalzi

      it’s hard to do research when you can’t read

  • Sean Richardson

    Even if you take his extreme racism as gospel fact, you are *still* left with the following equation:
    1) They get no money and have to do whatever white people tell them
    2) They get free money and don’t have to do anything

    And he STILL thinks they’re better off with #1!

    • Christopher Foxx

      equation
      facts

    • waspuppet

      Remember: Slavery was awesome, but Cliven Bundy paying grazing fees is intolerable tyranny.

  • lahru

    they believe they are not racists because they view the negro people as not equal due stereotypes. It is not like they dislike them, they are just not like them. They don’t associate with them and are just stating what everyone in their circle also believe. they are just those people over there, you know, across the tracks.

  • http://cendax.wordpress.com/ Norbrook

    “being slaves to the United States government in the sense of the subsidy”

    Damn. I need to get a new irony meter, that statement broke it. Grazing on government land without paying a reduced non-market rate fee for twenty years, and more than likely being on Medicare and collecting Social Security isn’t “in the sense of the subsidy.”

    Apparently, Cliven Bundy and his supporters live in an alternate universe, where they use words that don’t mean what they think they mean.

    • http://www.livingenergy.abmp.com/ KanaW

      “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
      They’re characters in a Carroll book…

  • Zen Diesel

    When you start a statement “Let me tell you about the Negro, ” it can never end well…lol.

  • mrbrink

    Nice. So, Cliven Candie Bundy proceeds to saw off Old Ben’s skull at the dinner table to demonstrate how he’s not a racist using the Dimple Theory? I hope right wing nut jobs are learning a valuable lesson in social progress.

    This isn’t your run-of-the-mill racism where you merely obstruct the doorway of a school, or a lunch counter. It isn’t that to-each-their-own racism that runs off to the suburbs with all the wealth and complains from a gated community about minorities stealing all the wealth. This is that real fucked up, hand-me-down racism that you get from your daddy’s daddy that reads biblical quotes as they’re tying you to the whipping post. The kind that would organize armed 2nd amendment posses on horseback and Chevy 4X4s to keep ‘the help’ from running off Rick Perry’s ranch if it weren’t for “Big Government” trampling on states’ rights and individual liberty!

    Next time, they’ll do the bags right, and go full regalia.

    • bbiemeret

      Love the Django references. That movie’s satire is finger-lickin’ good. Went over the heads of many, I’m afraid. I fear Mr. Tarantino is a bit misunderstood at times.

      Ah yes, the accurate and reliable science of phrenology, wherever did it go?

      • mrbrink

        Ha! I thought Bob wrote an excellent piece about Django last year that made a lot of sense of it, even before I seen it. It’s easily one of my favorite movies for most of the reasons mentioned in that post. I crack myself up doing a Dr. King Schultz impression: “Is this the Marshall…?” makes me chuckle every time.

        • Badgerite

          Oh, that linked piece was excellent. And it pointed something up that Cloven Bundy doesn’t seem to grasp and that is that slavery was not a system that sought the ‘best interests’ of the enslaved. As Bob says,

          “We are talking about the unforgivable enslavement and torture – both physical and psychological torture – of an entire race of people for the sake of both propping up the southern economy and the socioeconomic status of its entitled gentry.”

          The southern aristocrats were the ones on ‘welfare’.

  • theronware

    I mean who even uses the word negro anymore?! Can one use it in a sentence?Let me give it a try: William is a hard worker and seems nice enough, he’s a good negro! ahahahaha!

  • Pug

    Here’s what I’m wondering, Cliven. Would Clarence Thomas even be any good at picking cotton?

  • Oscar Jimison

    ” . . . they was able to their family structure together and the chickens and the garden and the people have something to do.”

    Bundy, of course is a racist d-bag, but I believe this guy has no realistic concept of what slavery in the US was. And honestly, where would he get a realist concept of slavery; it’s not like he’s going to educate himself on the subject. I truly believe that, like a lot of conservatives, he believes in a whitewashed version of slavery where benevolent whites gave slaves a home (chickens and a garden), and in exchange the slaves did a few chores. When I hear conservative pundits say crap like, “Obamacare is worse than slavery”, I know that most of the time they’re just trying to be racially provocative in order to bolster their conservative street cred. Still, it always makes me want to ask about the concept of slavery a notion like that is based on; what does that person think the life of a slave consisted of? That simple minded quote really contains insight into the ignorant delusions that some conservatives operate under.