Outreach

Is the Civil Rights Act unconstitutional? Did we make a mistake by passing it?

When asked that question by an African American constituent, Ted Yoho (R-FL) could only say that he isn’t sure.

YOHO: This country grew through a lot of growing pain. We’re going through it again. As we grow as a country and prosper, we’re going to go through it again in the future. That’s why I’m so thankful for the Constitution because it allows us to do that. Is it constitutional, the Civil Rights Act? I wish I could answer that 100 percent. I know a lot of things that were passed are not constitutional, but I know it’s the law of the land.

I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to that moment during the 2016 primary debate season when Republican candidates are asked if the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional.

If Rand Paul runs for president, the issue will certainly come up and their responses should be enlightening.

I imagine long deliberations and diatribes when a simple ‘yes’ would suffice, and if they dare answer ‘yes’ they’ll see immediate push-back from their lunatic base of followers.

The Schadenfreude will be monumental.

This entry was posted in Stupid Party, Super Stupid and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • RamOrgan

    Um, Bob, your images are out of sync with your articles. Hillary is in the Civil Rights act piece, and Rush is in the shoe-throwing piece.

    • JMAshby

      I’m not seeing a problem here. Did you try refreshing the page?

  • WiscoJoe

    Gee, if only our Constitution came up with some sort of governing body with the authority to determine exactly what is and is not constitutional.

    Nevermind, I totally forgot that if we don’t allow private citizens to pick and choose what they individually believe to be constitutional, then we are just blindly following fascist authoritarianism, or something.

  • Zen Diesel

    The thing that amazes me is that whenever, a Republican puts his foot in his mouth about race, the five or six Black conservatives are no where to be found denouncing this stuff.

    • Lady Willpower

      You wouldn’t like what they had to say, I’m sure.

      • Zen Diesel

        Your right, they will probably end up saying some of the most clinically insane statements, that will make your head spin. One of my childhood friends is now a black conservative totally living in a fact free Fox News Universe. He drives me nuts with his blatant hypocrisy, denial and hubris when it comes to calling members of his party out on some of the crazy things they say and do. His patented response is to either deflect or “bring up the both sides do it” narrative. I know I will never get him to change his opinions, but at the very least I figure he would admit that “wrong is wrong” when it happens. I have no problem calling a democrat or progressive to the carpet when they I feel they are wrong, but for some reason conservatives operate in this bubble where they are infallible.

  • Badgerite

    Thanks Gang of Five. That worked out well. So maybe discrimination based on race, creed, color or gender isn’t such a bad idea after all?

  • muselet

    It’s a blast from the past:

    “Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be ‘constitutional’ does not make it so. The whole thing remains unconstitutional,” [Rand Paul] said in a statement.

    At least you can’t accuse Righties of being inconsistent.

    –alopecia