Rand Paul Contorts Himself On Immigration, Jeb Bush

rand_paul_derp

If you can read this without laughing you’re probably not yet as jaded and cynical as I am.

Rand Paul (R-LibertyLand) says Jeb Bush should have been more “artful” when he said immigrants come to America out of love.

“You know, I think he might have been more artful, maybe, in the way he presented this. But I don’t want to say, oh, he’s terrible for saying this. If it were me, what I would have said is, people who seek the American dream are not bad people,” Paul said on ABC’s “This Week.” “However, we can’t invite the whole world. When you say they’re doing an act of love and you don’t follow it up with, but we have to control the border, people think well because they’re doing this for kind reasons that the whole world can come to our country.”

If you were to only sample Rand’s comments from this, you would probably have no idea what he really believes about immigration.

Between half-assedly disagreeing with Jeb for not being “artful” enough, to finding a back-door way to agree with him in spirit, and then implying that we can’t allow people to feel good about themselves for coming here illegally; it’s gobbledygook.

It’s very libertarian, but I repeat myself.

The reflexive, knee-jerk reaction of conservatives to Jeb Bush saying something that does not demonize immigrants as sub-human leeches was predictable. And what Rand Paul had to say was not the worst of the bunch because, as has become apparent, he’s running for president, for pete’s sake.

Jeb Bush doesn’t have a chance in hell in the GOP primary if he insists on portraying immigrants as humans capable of feeling complex emotions.

This entry was posted in Immigration, Rand Paul and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    Rand Paul’s comments were consistent with the party platform: People who seek the American dream are not bad people, and we must prevent them from crossing the border by any possible means lest those filthy furriners think we want them here.

    Paul’s statement was incoherent and illogical, yes, but that hardly makes him unique among Rs.

    –alopecia

    • drspittle

      It was a very special episode of “GOP’s Adventures In Outreach”.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Give me your hungry, your tired, your poor, I’ll piss on ‘em
    that’s what the Statue of Bigotry says
    Your poor huddled masses, let’s club ‘em to death
    and get it over with and just dump ‘em on the boulevard

    Now, was that from Lou Reed’s Dirty Boulevard? Or what’s deep inside the ignorant mindset of Rand Paul?

  • JimmyAbra

    I think the real LIbertarian thought on immigration would be completely open the borders and invite all comers. But it does go to show that the Pauls are really isolationist and protectionist and for a white America.