SPLC: Stormfront Linked to Nearly 100 Murders Since 2009

Frazier Glenn Miller’s connection to the now-infamous Vanguard News Network (VNN) has been well documented over the past several days after he killed three people at Jewish community centers in Kansas City but, according to a new comprehensive report from the Southern Poverty Law Center, the more popular Stormfront forum can be linked to nearly 100 murders in the last five years.

Stormfront users have included Wade Michael Page, who shot to death six people before killing himself at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin in 2012; Richard Andrew Poplawski, who murdered three Pittsburgh police officers in 2009; and Anders Behring Breivik, who bombed a government building in Norway, killing eight people, and then massacred 69 people, most of them teenagers, at a summer camp in 2011.

Stormfront’s homicidal trend began just four years after the site went up. On Aug. 10, 1999, Buford O’Neil Furrow, a known Stormfront user, left his parents’ home in Tacoma, Wash., and drove to Los Angeles, where he shot and wounded three children, a teenage girl and an elderly woman at a Jewish day care center. Furrow then shot and killed a Filipino-American postal worker. But the trend took off after Obama’s inauguration in January 2009.

According to the SPLC’s Intelligence Project, hate killings ‘accelerated rapidly’ after President Obama took office in January of 2009, leading to nearly 100 murders since then.

The first thing that jumps out at you is obviously the fact that President Obama took office in 2009 and that he is, in fact, a black man.

Sure, there are certainly other factors involved such as the NRA’s endless drumbeat, Fox News, Hate Radio, and long-running anti-government conspiracy theories which have become more popular and mainstream in recent years, but each of those can also be linked back to race. The militia movement has a long, ugly history, but the fact that hate killings accelerated after the nation’s first black president took office is hardly surprising.

When conservative entertainment shock jocks bleat about the impending race war, martial law, or FEMA camps, they’re only throwing gasoline on the fire.

The last thing we need is to radicalize a whole new generation by telling them the NSA is vacuuming up every single detail of their lives and then hand Pulitzers to the men responsible for misleading them.

Too late.

This entry was posted in Justice, Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Hemisemidemiquaver

    Martial law. Not marshal law.

    • JMAshby

      See, this is why being your own editor is bad. I read this several times and didn’t spot that right in front of my face.

  • Toolymegapoopoo

    Back in college, about 15 years ago, I had Stormfront.org bookmarked. I liked to go there and remind myself of how great the people I surrounded myself with in the real world actually are. I read so much sickness there, so much ignorant rage. It would be nice think that if only those people could channel that energy into doing something good the world would be a better place. For most of them this is a false hope. For the others, their youthful experiment with the lessons of their fathers can be reversed. It must be reversed.

    • beulahmo

      Wow. You’ve actually ventured in, huh? I don’t have the stomach for it — I’ve never lurked. I’ve encountered white supremacists who troll other blog sites (like Raw Story, for instance), and those experiences were creepy enough to nauseate me — can’t imagine what Stormfront must be like. ::shudder::

  • Churchlady320

    Add in Christian Identity, World Church of the Creator, Operation Save America and Operation Rescue before that, Sovereign Citizens, Oath Keepers, etc. and the list expands. Some of these folks have morphed into ‘respectable’ group founders that have support from elected and appointed officials. THAT is the most dangerous part of this when people in public office defend the extremism.

  • Scopedog

    Yeah, but let’s keep bitching about the NSA, drones, and putting Snowden up on a fucking pedestal…

    I’m sorry if I sound pissed off. This really is important, and there are major things facing us in regards to racism, but it seems that out attention is focused on the latest Greenwald spew or focusing on the NSA (and not on the corporations who have a helluva lot more on us than our government) or seeing some on the far Left pal around with Libertarian d-bags.

    Apologies for sounding like a cynical jerk.