Supreme Court Rejects Rick Scott’s Drug Testing Appeal

Good news, the Supreme Court has hammered the final nail in Florida Governor Rick Scott’s random drug testing program for state employees.

The decision leaves in place a May 2013 appeals court ruling against Scott’s executive order making consent to suspicionless drug testing a condition of employment. A judge said it violated workers’ Fourth Amendment rights protecting against unreasonable searches and seizure.

While this is good news, it’s also unintentionally funny because this decision should not be confused with a separate, ongoing case against the governor’s other drug testing program which is also probably unconstitutional.

In December a federal judge struck down Governor Gollum’s drug testing program for welfare recipients but that decision is still being appealed. I expect it will meet a similar fate.

This entry was posted in Rick Scott, Supreme Court and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • blair houghton

    Shouldn’t this apply to all warrantless (i.e., employment-related) drug testing? Every corporation in America is a licensed agent of the government.

    • bbiemeret

      I agree, I never understood how this was legal. I could understand if there was a workplace incident that suggested possible impairment, but as a preemptive measure, I always felt it was rather invasive, and possibly unconstitutional.

  • Grant Beaudette

    Hopefully this can be used against other states’ programs to drug test welfare recipients.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Gollum. Not Golem.

    • JMAshby

      You’re killin’ me Smalls

  • theronware

    How can a white collar criminal like Scott get elected governor? I want Charlie Crist to soundly defeat the rat bastard!