The Miami-Dade County Elections Department Are Dicks

The fact that you will no longer be able to use the bathroom at polling precincts in Miami-Dade County is not as amazing to me as the reason why.

After a disability rights lawyer asked the county elections department if bathroom facilities at polling precincts were accessible to the disabled, the department responded in the most asinine way possible.

[He] received a written response announcing that the county would close all restrooms at polling places “to ensure that individuals with disabilities are not treated unfairly,” a January email stated. “[T]he Department’s policy is not to permit access to restrooms at polling sites on election days,” Assistant County Attorney Shanika Graves said in a Feb. 14 email. Elections Department officials did not immediately respond to ThinkProgress inquiries.

Nice bathroom you got there. It would be a shame if something happened to it.

It’s not clear if it’s even legal for the department to do this as it seemingly violates the Americans with Disabilities Act.

This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    And that jaw-dropping response came from an Assistant County Attorney.

    The barrel truly has no bottom.

    –alopecia

    • gescove

      No need to scrape the bottom of the barrel… we’ve got dregs all the way down.

  • Oleman

    “”It’s not clear if it’s even……” Of course it is, they are Republicans.

    • Michael Munsey

      Umm, the Miami-Dade Elections Department who made the decision is almost exclusively Democrats.

  • joseph2004

    What this is is an example of the absurd extremes of “equality for all;” if one person can’t access something, then no one will, period. Everyone is treated exactly the same. If one person suffers, then everyone will. It’s only fair. And you “progressives” see this as Republican derangement? Amazing.

    • Badgerite

      It is no such thing. What it is is an example of just what Ashby said it is. A county elections department fun by dicks. And I don’t mean Cheney.

    • Robert Scalzi

      Fuck you Joseph – maybe you will be in a fucking wheelchair someday and then you will be able to see the folly in this BS decision -

  • Badgerite

    I’m pretty sure that the American Disabilities Act would prohibit this. Especially so in that they have bathroom facilities but are closing them to avoid providing equal accommodations to the disabled. Doesn’t get much more discriminatory than that, now does it?

    • Christopher Foxx

      Discriminating equally is not Equality.

      • Badgerite

        That would be my take on it. If you are shutting down facilities for everybody rather than comply with the law, that would be discriminatory intent.

  • Robert Scalzi

    It doesn’t just seem illegal, IT IS ILLEGAL – this decision will not stand. I am very familiar w/ ADA access laws , my father was a double amputee that I cared for for 4 yrs while he was being ravaged by diabetes until his fight ended. This action is such a blatant act of ignorance regarding ADA access to public buildings that are otherwise open to the public it will not stand. Still though , it is yet another reason to stay the FUCK out of Horrid Florida

  • 1933john

    I guess after you pull the curtain,
    you could take a shit on the floor,
    while thinking about the nine or
    ten year old named joe.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Closing the bathrooms so instead of just being unavailable to the disabled they’re unavailable to everyone? That’s not how you promote equality, Nation. If the Miami-Dade County Elections Department was really serious about treating everyone equally they’d be making sure everyone was disabled.