The Most Compelling Argument

CompellingArgument

Artist – David Fitzsimmons

This was easily the best thing I read today. Wall Street Journal columnist Bret Stephens is less than impressed by Rand Paul, but he would love to see Rand Paul receive the GOP nomination and then be defeated in a landslide.

“This man wants to be the Republican nominee for president. And so he should be. Because maybe what the GOP needs is another humbling landslide defeat. When moderation on a subject like immigration is ideologically disqualifying, but bark-at-the-moon lunacy about Halliburton is not, then the party has worse problems than merely its choice of nominee.”

Meanwhile, lawmakers in Louisiana are advancing a bill to make the King James bible the state’s official book. This is almost certainly unconstitutional.

This entry was posted in Open Thread, Rand Paul, Religion and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    This man wants to be the Republican nominee for president. And so he should be. Because maybe what the GOP needs is another humbling landslide defeat.

    If only that could be extended to the House.

  • Barry Schwartz

    The KJV also is a very bad translation, although a fine piece of writing.

    I could declare that “The Pet Goat” is my state book, wouldn’t give it a hair more power as law, so I don’t see how LA’s proposed declaration could be unconstitutional. Pointless and stupid, yes, but not legally questionable.

    • JMAshby

      Last I checked passing a law to favor one religion over the other is unconstitutional. That’s partly why Bobby Jindal’s education voucher program didn’t pass muster. If this is signed into law I expect it will be challenged in court immediately.

        The Official State Bird of North Carolina is the Cardinal, and the Official State Tree the Pine. That doesn’t give them any rights above and beyond those of any other bird or tree. If I choose to prefer the Robin or the Oak, there’s not a damn thing the state gummint can do about it.

        As stated in my first comment, I think the proclamation is pointless and stupid, but it is not a law. Laws are things that can be broken and have consequences when broken. How does one “break” a designation of Official Book/Bird/Tree?

        • Christopher Foxx

          That doesn’t give them any rights above and beyond those of any other bird or tree. … How does one “break” a designation of Official Book/Bird/Tree?

          The “this is no big deal, what possible harm does this do” argument is an excuse often used by folks who are trying to promote their agenda while claiming they are not. It’s an argument intended to sidetrack the discussion with nonsense and deserves no rebuttal.

          PUBLIC officials are advocating promoting a particular religious book in a way that they are not promoting any other religious books. That’s not legal. Period.

    • mrbrink

      If you tried to make My Pet Goat my official state book it wouldn’t be long before we were teaching the goat commandments and goat justice and goat morals in our public schools. As much as that would make for a real twist in this crazy experiment called Democracy, I would still have to object on behalf of freedom from goat religions.

  • pazcat

    Fiction or non fiction?