The Supreme Court Reminds Us Racism is Over

Supremes

Just kidding. Racism won’t be over until the secret Muslim in the White House stops oppressing the white man, amirite?

The Supreme Court ruled today that states have a right to end their affirmative action programs.

The justices said in a 6-2 ruling Tuesday that Michigan voters had the right to change their state constitution to prohibit public colleges and universities from taking account of race in admissions decisions. The justices say that a lower federal court was wrong to set aside the change as discriminatory.

I wish I were kidding, but apparently Chief Justice John Roberts asserted that anti-discrimination programs such as affirmative action actually perpetuate discrimination. Because we’re all color-blind now, didn’t you know?

If this ruling leads to a rash of bills that kill affirmative action programs across the country and to new disparities in higher education among minority groups, don’t say we didn’t warn you.

This entry was posted in Justice, Racism, Supreme Court and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    Chief Justice John Roberts asserted that anti-discrimination programs
    such as affirmative action actually perpetuate discrimination.

    Of course; discrimination against good white Christian folks like him. Those are the only people who have ever really been discriminated against. What did you think he meant?

  • Ellen Kuhlmann

    Think there already may be laws in many states. Recently found out my home state of Washington passed a law similar to Michigan’s in 1998. Don’t know how stringently its been enforced, came to light during a discussion about a college president’s efforts to increase % minority students/faculty/staff at the college.

  • mrbrink

    Finally, white people will have the same chance at a real education as minorities. Remember this day as the day white men began to take it back.

    Meanwhile, Justice Sotomayor seems to have a unique perspective completely alien to the majority’s decision:

    For members of historically marginalized groups, which rely on the federal courts to protect their constitutional rights, the decision can hardly bolster hope for a vision of democracy that preserves for all the right to participate meaningfully and equally in self-government.

    Chief Justice Roberts has made it his personal mission on the court to abolish the government’s check on centuries of institutionalized racism and its version of “meritocracy.”

  • D_C_Wilson

    Roberts always reminds me of that schtick Colbert does when he claims to not be able to see race and then shows a picture with his “black friend.”

  • muselet

    It’s always good when a pasty white guy tells everyone who’s not a pasty white guy they’re delusional. It’s even better when another pasty white guy takes it upon himself to explain to someone who’s not a pasty white guy exactly why her position is part of the problem.

    And don’t you dare call those pasty white guys privileged. They got where they are strictly on their own merits.

    (Anthony Kennedy and John Roberts seem hell-bent on making us sane pasty white guys look bad.)

    –alopecia