Boehner: We Can’t Do Immigration Reform Because Obamacare

BoehnerBawling

When pressed by Fusion’s Jorge Ramos yesterday, Speaker of the House John Boehner said he can’t bring immigration reform to the floor because something something Obamacare.

Boehner said Republicans don’t trust President Obama to properly an enforce an immigration law they pass, citing multiple exemptions the president made to his signature healthcare law.

“Since when does Obamacare have to do with immigration reform?” Ramos asked. “The Senate passed [immigration reform] almost a year ago, and you haven’t moved on that.”

“I just gave you an answer,” Boehner replied. “There’s nobody more interested in fixing this problem than I am.”

We can’t do immigration reform because the president has allowed delays for insurance mandates?

That’s pretty weak.

It would be easier to believe that there’s “nobody more interested” in fixing immigration than John Boehner if there were actually any evidence of that.

Iowa congressman and secret border control agent Steve “Calves the Size of Cantaloupes” King (R) recently said that his view of immigration reform is “indistinguishable” from the rest of the Republican party.

Is he wrong, John Boehner? Prove him wrong. Prove us wrong.

(ht Price Benowitz LLP, Virginia)
This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    “There’s nobody more interested in fixing this problem than I am.”

    I imagine there are eleven million immigrants who are more interested, Mr. Speaker, but nice try.

    –alopecia

    • Lady Willpower

      When he says “fixing” his Republican constituents hear “finishing the doggone fence and allowing us to shoot Messicans on sight.” That’s the only real solution they want.

      • muselet

        You have a point. The meaning of that sentence does depend on what you think “this problem” is.

        –alopecia

  • Ned F

    Am I wrong but, weren’t the delays in deadlines granted because the Republicans claimed that the bloated, bureaucratic, private marketplace couldn’t move fast enough to comply with nimble, adaptable, free hand of government?

    • Churchlady320

      You are not wrong.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    This has got to be the stupidest, most transparently idiotic, ridiculous and childish excuse for inaction ever uttered by an adult, let alone a politician, let alone one in a position of leadership in the nation’s legislature.

    Indeed, I think Boehner is responsible for the three stupidest, most transparently idiotic, ridiculous and childish political statements of the Obama era:

    1. Standing in front of a crowd of Teabaggers in the days before the ACA was passed, waving about a little booklet in the air saying, “This is our Constitution! I’m holding up a copy of our Constitution! And I’m going to read to you the words of our Constitution! The words our Founding Fathers wrote in our Constitution!” then proceeding to open the little booklet and pretend to read from it by reciting, “We hold these truths to be self-evident….”

    2. “America’s job creators are basically on strike.”

    3. This.

    I’m sure I’m missing some, but those are the diamonds in the rough, so to speak. Way to go, ridiculous drunk orange person.

  • hanadora444

    Boehner scored a hat trick on this one. He:
    1. Insulted Obama
    2. Pandered to the base
    and
    3. Gave himself an excuse for doing nothing except indulging his usual laziness