Fox News Just Can’t Quit Homophobia

Sometimes all you need is a picture to tell a story.

(via Media Matters)

MichaelSamDraftTrump

Why is Michael Sam being praised while Tim Tebow becomes a Christian martyr? Let’s not ask Donald Trump.

Tim Tebow was laughed out of the league because he was terrible at football, not because he wore his Christian faith on his sleeve. Michael Sam was the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Defensive Player of the Year. The SEC is typically regarded as the toughest conference in college football, but even if you disagree with that it’s still not easy to become the Defensive Player of the Year of the SEC.

Michael Sam, despite his resume, came close to being the last pick (249th overall pick out of 256) of the entire 2014 NFL draft. Why? It’s obvious he was almost drafted last because he’s openly gay. Only one previous winner of the SEC Defensive Player of the Year award was drafted later than the second round of the draft. Michael Sam was drafted in the seventh round.

Fox News and the Right just can’t quit homophobia and apparently neither can a lot of NFL locker rooms. And to be clear, Fox News is hardly alone in their Christian persecution complex.

If you really believe Tim Tebow was mocked out of the league because of his faith, explain why every player ever immediately thanks God when they’re interviewed after a big win.

This entry was posted in LGBT, Sports and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Victor_the_Crab

    What the fuck is wrong with these morons? They act as if Tim Tebow was the only devoted Christian to ever play in the NFL, and that no other Christian will ever manage to play in the league again because of their faith. Are they not familiar with the late Reggie White, an ordained Baptist minister? Or Kurt Warner, whose rise to the top of the NFL was far more inspiring than anything Tebow did. Fuck these Fox News idiots and Donald Trump too.

    • Sabyen91

      I hated rooting for Reggie White when he came to the Packers. He was so annoying. Someone would put a microphone in his face and my brother would watch me, waiting for me to roll my eyes because inevitably he would yap incessantly about the Lawd.

  • Clancy

    It’s arguable whether Tebow’s devout Christianity is even all that distinctive in the NFL. Many of the league’s players are known for their conservative religious views and proselytizing. . . which does little to nothing to harm their careers. Heck, I–and tons of other fans–absolutely loved former quarterback Mark Brunell, who headed the “Champions for Christ,” which in addition to being an aggressive Christian advocacy organization, was actively investigated by the league and law enforcement for potentially scamming players out of their earnings.

    • FlipYrWhig

      Part of the reason Tebow was a target of mockery was that people rushed to proclaim him as special _for something that wasn’t really particularly special_. A football player who talks about Jesus? Really, you don’t say. Never seen one of those before. How’s about a hockey player with a mullet, or a baseball player who spits tobacco?

      • D_C_Wilson

        That and the fact that he was overhyped as a QB.

  • FlipYrWhig

    Tim Tebow was so disrespected by NFL muckety-mucks that he was drafted in… the 1st round. Before that, for about 3 consecutive years, Tebow was praised to the skies by every talking head on ESPN. He was such a _wonderful_ young man that he made everyone who came into His presence a touch better. Not like Those People who are thugs with their bling and tats and strippers and so forth. The Cult of Tebow was all about his goodness and godliness and anomalous status in sport.

    In some quarters — the ones I hang in — Tebow WAS mocked for being emotional and demonstrative and vocal about an aspect of his identity he considers important. I don’t like that about him. So I mocked him. I don’t like his fans, and mocked them. TBogg was particularly withering. But that wasn’t even close to the universal view.

    Of course, one glance at any discussion board, for instance CBS Sports, will tell you that Michael Sam has ALSO been mocked for being emotional and demonstrative and vocal about an aspect of his identity he considers important. I like that about him, so I don’t mock him. Some dipshits did. Because they’re dipshits.

    In other words, both players have been both celebrated and mocked. Fox’s caption is way off because it presumes a contrast that doesn’t exist.

  • fry1laurie

    I guess Fox has never seen the post-game ritual of the Jeebus worshipers getting together from both teams and kneeling and praying at mid-field. Nope, must be the NFL hates Jeebus.

  • Sabyen91

    Number of openly gay NFL players: One.
    Number of openly Christian NFL players: Damned near all of them.

    Next question.

    • Bill Jackson

      Number of Christian NFL players smashing cake in there GF’s face: None
      Number of openly gay NFL players that are attention whores: One

      • Bill Jackson

        Number of DE chosen before Mike Sam: 17 LOL

        • Sabyen91

          Did you just :LOL yourself? Good job, 8th grader.

      • Sabyen91

        Pathetic post. Number of NFL players smashing cake in GF’s face is most certainly not none. Have you EVER attended a wedding? This is a story no matter how much you would like to downplay it. You would say nothing if this was Johnny Manziel kissing his girlfriend (or girlfriends as I am sure that is the case with him.)

        • Bill Jackson

          Were they getting married? No.

          • Sabyen91

            No, he was being drafted by an NFL team. That is bigger. You just hate him because of his sexual orientation. Seethe, you homophobe, let it eat you up. Loser.

          • Bill Jackson

            I don’t give a shit, it is just fun to watch you gays get in such an uproar.

            I doubt he would have even been drafted if not for media reasons. He was a mid pick before the combine and with his poor showing dropped quite a bit.

            We will see if he even makes the squad. the Rams are stocked on the D-Line.

          • Sabyen91

            “I don’t give a shit,”

            Uh huh. That is why you are commenting.

          • Bill Jackson

            Like I said, it is funny watching the gay community talk. I bet 90% of them don’t understand the game.

            Look at the dumb ass author of this article, talking about Sam being SEC DEF player of the year (he was Co-player) should have resulted in him being picked higher. where he was drafted. If that was the case every Heisman winner should go #1.

            These clowns are at Bridal Shows when the NFL games are on TV. HaHa!

          • ninjaf

            Yes, you are making the case that you are not homophobic admirably. Keep going. You’re doing great!

          • Bill Jackson

            Wouldn’t homophobic imply you are afraid. I just enjoy making fun of the light in their loafers crew.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        Number of asshole homophobe trolls commenting on this page: YOU!

        • Bill Jackson

          Hey! you got to type homophobe! I bet you are happy. Now go puff some more peter clown.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Why are you so deep in the closet?

          • Bill Jackson

            Why is you buddy’s pecker so deep up your asshole?

          • Victor_the_Crab

            I reported you to Bob. You’ll be banned from this site soon for your homophobic trolling, you piece of shit.

          • Bill Jackson

            Whah, no wonder everyone knows fag boys are wimps. Thanks for reinforcing that cocksmoker.

          • ninjaf

            You think that calling someone gay is an insult. This reflects on you, not the person you are trying to insult. If I see nothing wrong with two men having sex, why would it matter to me that you think saying that I participate in activities that go along with that is an insult? It isn’t. You are not so bright, apparently. In order for an insult to work, you have to accuse me of something I find as abhorrent as you seem to find two men having sex.

          • Bill Jackson

            It is an insult or you wouldn’t reply peter puffer.

          • ninjaf

            I am a woman so, statistically speaking, you are erring on the cautious side. Way to take the big risks with your attempts at an insult!

  • Lady Willpower

    Man, when are we finally gonna get some straight Christians in the NFL? What is the holdup?

    • Sabyen91

      I hear you. It is awful.

      My favorite tweet of all time though is Stevie Johnson, formerly of the Buffalo Bills after he dropped a the ball that would have been a game-winning touchdown.

      “I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO…”

  • i_a_c

    WTF is on the chyron?
    MICHAEL SAM PRAISED, TIM TEBOW MOCKED
    What a load of horseshit. They were both praised and mocked.
    They will stop at nothing to keep playing the victim card.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Tebow wasn’t mocked for being a Christian. Jeebus knows there’s no shortage of NFL players who thank God for every play they make. What made him so easy to deride was that he and his supporters acted like he deserved to be a starting quarterback just because he was so devout. They had this whole script written out in which he’d lead his team to a Superbowl victory and then the country would be so overawed with his greatness that America would come back to Gawd and embrace the conservative evangelical agenda. There was just one major flaw in their plan: Jesus forgot to bless Tebow with the ability to throw the ball with any accuracy. He was productive as a college QB because he ran the ball. NFL QB’s need to be able to throw. He couldn’t hack it in that position and refused to take a less prestigious position like fullback because he wouldn’t get the media attention needed for his mission.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Regarding pop-up troll “Bill Jackson”: I’ve never met anyone that anti-gay who wasn’t trying to cover his true self.

    Also,too: I didn’t even know you could upvote your own comment. Doing that is so, what’s the word?, gay!

    • Lady Willpower

      I’ve noticed the homophobic wingnuts all upvote their own comments. I guess they don’t know that we can see it, and want us to think at least one person agrees with them.