George Will: #BringBackOurGirls Hashtag Campaign is a Powerless ‘Exercise in Self-Esteem’

I always chuckle a little when I hear people tell me that George Will is one of the smart, reasonable conservatives. While, yes, there are indeed many smart, reasonable conservatives, George Will isn’t one of them. He can occasionally say something that sounds promising, but then follows it up with insufferable nincompoopery about the climate crisis or by suggesting that President Obama only won in 2012 because whites didn’t want to fire the black guy. Yes, he really said that.

And now that he’s a panelist on Fox News Sunday his irascible, post-bow-tie dickbaggery has been cranked up to 11. It’s fertile ground for him to not only tag-team with Brit Hume for the role of the tight-assed High School principal on the show, but now he’s free to let fly with his inner crank without being seriously challenged by anyone else, unlike when he was a panelist on This Week with George Stephanopoulos. No need to soften his crapola with accessible and folksy baseball yarns, Will’s new audience demands fire-eating and fire-eating only. Couple that with the fact that I don’t think Will gives a flying shit about anything any more. He’s not even dying his actual hair to match that hairpiece he likely purchased while on a drunken toupée binge with Sam Donaldson back in 1978 and has been flogging it ever since.

So when he callously insulted the #BringOurGirlsBack hashtag campaign on Sunday, it came as no surprise whatsoever. This is what George Will does now.

In case you missed it, the conversation on Fox News Sunday turned to the crisis in Africa in which 270 Nigerian girls were kidnapped back on April 15 and are likely being sold into slavery by Boko Haram terrorists. Moderator Chris Wallace introduced several Twitter photos, including one of First Lady Michelle Obama, holding up hand-written signs with the #BringOurGirlsBack hashtag.

In response, George Will expressionlessly mocked:

“It’s an exercise in self-esteem. I do not know how adults stand there, facing a camera and say, ‘Bring back our girls. Are these barbarians in the wilds of Nigeria supposed to check their Twitter accounts and say, ‘Oh, Michelle Obama’s very cross with us, we better change our behavior?’ Power is the ability to achieve intended effects. This is not intended to have any effect on the real world. It’s a little bit like environmentalism has become. The incandescent lightbulb becomes the enemy. It has NO effect whatever on the planet, but it makes people feel good about themselves.”

Let’s try to unpack this arrogant, thoughtless horseshit… READ MORE

This entry was posted in The Daily Banter and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Mikeatmartel

    Will is somewhat correct, white people chose not to fire the black guy in 2012, however, the reason is not what he thinks. The real reason is that his opponent was totally unacceptable, and had the self awareness of a sea cucumber.

    • Jackson

      Really? Everrything Mitt Romney predicted fr om Russia to the economy to Iran to Obamacare came true. People voted for Obama becuase he is black. He had no experience or qualifications and now that is painfully obvious. Mitt Romney was the better candidate but he is white.

      • Mikeatmartel

        Let’s see exactly what did mitt predict about the ACA. He was correct only if you mean that people could no longer be sold policies that provided little coverage and were basically useless in an emergency. So Russia, his prediction that Russia is a rival is something about as obvious as saying you breathe. Of course he walked back his No 1 challenge statement. Actually China is a bigger threat. No qualifications, really 4 years in office is less qualification than being a one term governor and using the winter Olympics in Utah to pad his pocket, yeah right. Oh wait forgot his going on his mission to France really padded his foreign policy chops, which conveniently kept him from another favorite foreign destination in Southeast Asia, that he so wanted to visit, but darn other things came up.

        Oh yeah the economy unemployment 6.3 per cent, stock market at or near all time highs, collapse is imminent. You can pump Mitt as much as you like but facts are not your friends. May I add this from Vanguard’s week in review of the economy from May 9, 2014.

        This week’s U.S. economic data releases were
        mostly positive, as the economy continues to rebound from a winter that saw
        extreme weather for much of the country. On the heels of a strong jobs report to
        start the month, consumers are accelerating their level of borrowing, while U.S.
        exports are reaching record levels. But sure let’s all praise the omniscient Mitt.

      • D_C_Wilson

        So, Romney predicted Russia would annex Crimea? He predicted that the economy would experience a slight rebound with unemployment at its lowest since 2008 and the deficit at its smallest percentage of GDP also since 2008? He predicted 8 million people would sign up for Obamacare?

        Wow, Romney was good. Or, as they say on Fox, that would be a good point if it were true.

        • Victor_the_Crab

          … as said by Stephen Colbert. ;)