Hannity Has Some Ideas About Executing People

Fox News host Sean Hannity can’t fathom how anyone could botch an execution. If you’re having trouble with your executions, you should hire an expert executioner like Mister Hannity.

Fox News host Sean Hannity asked state Rep. Paul Ray (R) about the accuracy of firing squads.

“After what happened in Oklahoma, I mean, you’re not going to mess up a firing squad, right?” Hannity asked. [...]

“What I don’t understand is how you screw that up. You could have given him a hot shot of heroin and he would have died. I mean, anything. That doesn’t seem that hard to me,” Hannity said.

Yeah! Executing people doesn’t seem that hard to Hannity. What’s the big deal?

Picard and Riker Facepalm

Pardon me, but what the fuck?

Hannity never made it to the waterboarding charity event. How did he pass up Barbarism 101 and go straight to executions?

I can’t wrap my head around the ethics of a supposed news network that allows its hosts to speculate on air about the best way to execute people. Then again, it is Fox News. I have no doubt Fox would televise executions if it were allowed.

“Would you like to know more?”

(ht Attorney Edward Tayter)
This entry was posted in Death Penalty, WTF and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • gescove

    What a ghoul.

  • http://thegloomyhistorian.blogspot.com/ The Gloomy Historian

    Point to Mr. Ashby for a Starship Troopers reference.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    If Sean Hannity is looking for ideas on how to execute people, then the answer is right under his nose. Have the condemned watch every episode of Hannity, non-stop and commercial free. The condemned would then drive its head into a wall to make it all stop.

    • muselet

      That would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

      –alopecia

  • http://immortalsea.blogspot.com/ Goldie

    As a matter of fact, it is possible for a firing squad to botch. It has happened.

    • Christopher Foxx

      The flawless method has yet to be devised.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I’m actually with him on this, in a general sense. Killing someone is not that complicated a thing to do. I’m puzzled as to why lethal injection as a method, seeing as it seems to require several special chemicals, some for the purpose of offsetting the effects of others, is used.

    As for “the ethics of a supposed news network that allows its hosts to speculate on air about the best way to execute people”, well, we know nobody at Fox has any ethics. But that aside, I don’t see that the discussion of execution methods is an unethical thing to do. Executions are still legal in this country and having a news organization (or Fox) discuss the various pros and cons of the different methods seems therefore an appropriate part of the public discussion.

    Doing it ghoulishly or as some attempt at demonstrating machismo, of course, is not.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Lethal injection is the preferred method in most states precisely because of the chemicals. It makes killing someone look like they’re just going to sleep. There’s no twitching or shaking associated with the gas chamber or electric chair. It’s all about making us feel better about ending a life by making it seem humane.

      Which is why Hannity’s remark does make a perverse kind of sense. There really is no humane way to execute someone, so why not just go with the most efficient? Except that isn’t the firing squad. People can linger on in pain for hours, even days depending on where the bullets hit. No, if you want something that can’t really be messed up, then the guillotine is the way to go. Pull the rope and down comes the blade, slicing the head off neat and quick. But that’s too gruesome for today’s society. We want our state-sanctioned killings to be quiet, not quick. Somehow, that makes us feel better about it.

      • 1933john

        Kind of like a “chicken with it’s head cut off”.
        I remember when I was a kid of three or four,
        in the market with my mother, she would
        chose which live chicken to buy, the butcher
        would cut off the chickens head with a cleaver
        and throw it in a bloody box on the floor to
        thrash around and die with a few last “clucks”.
        I wonder how people will react to such a
        procedure.

      • mrbrink

        Why not just stop executing people?

        • D_C_Wilson

          Now that’s crazy talk. How could we satisfy our bloodlust for vengeance?

      • mdblanche

        The guillotine was invented during the French Revolution as the humane, egalitarian, and quick alternative to the beheading somebody with a sword or an ax. It was so quick that it made it possible for France’s new leaders to execute more people than ever before, which they did as they grew more paranoid. After a few years the guillotine stopped being seen as a symbol of mercy and instead became a symbol of cruelty. And seeing each new and improved humane execution method in actual use has led to the same result ever since.

        • D_C_Wilson

          Yes! That’s exactly my point. There is no “humane way” to execute someone. We’ve tried to fool ourselves into thinking there is by turning it into a medical procedure. But as we’ve seen, when it gets botched, suddenly we become squeamish and realize what we’re really doing to people. The guillotine is the least error-prone way to execute someone. So, if our goal is to just make it quick and efficient, nothing beats it.

          But if our goal is to take the reality of what it means to have state-sanctioned killings seriously, then guillotine is also perfect, because we can use it to go back to treating it like the spectacle it used to be. Do it in the town square like we used to. Let everyone see what it is really is that we’re doing. Either this will turn people of the death penalty entirely or lead us down the read to another reign of terror. Either way, at least it would be more honest than what we’re doing now.

  • mrbrink

    Ah, yes, if anyone should redefine our ‘evolving standards of decency’ to encourage the country’s sadistic slide back to the ‘cruel and unusual punishment’ era of the Dark ages it should be soul-fuck Hannity leading the cause on FOX News.

    Sicko degenerate evil really does have its own news network.