House GOP Demands More Spending…

…for deportations.

House Republicans have formally rejected spending levels sought by President Obama that would have cut the Department of Homeland Security’s budget by 3 percent.

Why? Because we need to keep the brown people out.

This bill rejects the President’s attempt to undermine our laws and uses our funds in a fiscally responsible manner by pushing for reforms within DHS, like reducing ineffectual offices and programs, and requires the President to enforce current laws as they are written not as he would like them to be,” subcommittee Chairman John Carter (R-Texas) said in a release.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which rounds up illegal immigrants, gets $5.5 billion, an increase of $466.2 million above the president’s request and $210.9 million more than this year. For detention programs, the bill grants an increase of $146 million.

According to Speaker of the House John Boehner, his party can’t pass immigration reform because they “can’t trust” the president.

It’s abundantly clear that that’s code for ‘we don’t want to let more immigrants into the country.’ House Republicans have shown no willingness to pass a legal path to citizenship and they’re actively legislating a punch downward.

And yet there are some people blaming the president who has already stretched the limits of his executive authority to slow deportations.

You’re blaming the wrong side.

This entry was posted in Immigration and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    ICE gets its budget upped by nearly a half-billion dollars and detention programs get budget increases of almost $150 million, but the Rs say that is fiscally irresponsible because other stuff isn’t being cut. Or something. I seem not to be as fluent in Gibberish as I used to be.

    I hope every Latino—and everyone who knows a Latino—remembers this come Election Day.

      They kin ‘member all they wawnt to, we done ID-lawed ‘em so they cain’t vote. Yee haw and pass me s’more ammanition, they’s a coon in muh yard.

  • Redhand

    As a practicing immigration attorney I’d like to weigh in on this with some “process” observations. The immigration court system (Google “EOIR”) is part of the Dept. of Justice. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is part of the Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS). They of course have separate budgets. The Repubs could fund DHS and ICE up the kazoo but that would address only part of the so-called “problem.”

    EOIR is suffering a huge shortage of judges and people, such that here in Newark, NJ, where I mostly practice, the wait time for an INITIAL hearing (not the trial) can be as long as THREE YEARS. The problem is huge and cuts both ways. Innumerable people who deserve relief are kept waiting forever, while those the Repubs would like to deport (anybody with dark skin?) wait just as long. Any rational person looking at the immigration court system would necessarily have to conclude that the system is all but totally broken.

    As for the Repubs’ good faith, there isn’t any. Record numbers of people have been deported by Obama, far more than under Bush, but the reactionary right will always move the goalposts so that the magic level of enforcement necessary to consider true immigration reform is never reached. I don’t have the words to express the contempt I feel for Republican “immigration policy.” They’re right up there with “Bill the Butcher” in “Gangs of New York.”