Out of Control Spending

No, really.

Fiscal conservative and infamous teacher bully Governor Chris Christie has reportedly been using state-owned helicopters almost every three days over the past year.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is relying on the state-owned helicopter fleet more than ever, with 106 trips last year at a cost of $2,500 an hour. [...]

Christie has stepped up his air time even as he imposes municipal budget constraints and insists that public workers must pay higher costs for pensions and benefits.

The flights last year compare with 23 in 2010, his first year in office; 66 in 2012; and 70 in 2011, records show.

New Jersey isn’t exactly a large state so his excuse that he uses helicopters to “balance his duties as governor, husband and father” doesn’t hold up very well.

Christie clearly believes there’s a separate set of rules for himself. It’s a pattern.

This entry was posted in Chris Christie, Ethics and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Christopher Foxx

    Most employers don’t cover commuting costs for their employees. If Christie has a problem balancing his work and home life, that’s his problem.

  • trgahan

    Almost looks like someone who knows his days of free helicopter access (and any other New Jersey tax payer funded benefits) are numbered and he’s getting all the rides in he can.

  • muselet

    Remember, kids, the GOP is the party of fiscal responsibility.

    I’ll bet his people call it “Air Force 2016.”

    Sure, it’s a bit eccentric and wasteful for a so-called fiscal conservative, but how else are taxpayers supposed to deliver him into his constituency at the 4077th, or lower his whole live cows onto his plate for feeding time?

  • Badgerite

    He probably just doesn’t like to get stuck in traffic jams.

  • Jado

    I love Christie – he’s a prototypical Republican – “You evil peons get a pay cut, but I get a helicopter ride.” We really dodged a bullet when we re-elected him in a landslide. Otherwise we might have been stuck with…ANYONE ELSE, and wouldn’t that have sucked.

  • AJ Slemmer

    The Outlaw Jersey Whale [h/t: Charlie Pierce] Rides Again!