Phil Robertson Will Tell GOP Leaders What He Knows About ‘The Negro’

December 21, 2013

Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson has been invited to address the Republican Leadership Conference on Thursday that will also be addressed by the likes of RNC Chairman Reince Priebus and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal.

As I’m sure you recall, Phil Robertson made these comments during an interview with GQ which resulted in a brief suspension by A&E.

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field…. They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!… Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Did black people complain while they were picking cotton? “Not once” he says. “They were happy” and “no one was singing the blues.”

Here’s what Cliven Bundy said more recently:

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” he said. Mr. Bundy recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he asked. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

Were they better off “pre-entitlement” and “pre-welfare” as Robertson suggested? Bundy seems to think so.

I don’t see much daylight between the words of Cliven Bundy and the words of Phil Robertson. Both have suggested that black people may have been better off picking cotton.

Of course you could go a step further and connect the words of both men to the words of House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan who recently took a page out of Charles Murray and said that generations of lazy inner city men (read: black) don’t value work because, obviously, government welfare made them that way.

Phil Robertson also shared his deep thoughts about gay sex during the same GQ interview. Those comments drew more attention that his comments on race at the time.

This entry was posted in Racism, Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • D_C_Wilson

    Phil Robertson, Cliven Bundy, and Paul Ryan. Sounds like the perfect triumvirate of republican leadership.

    • aynwrong

      The sad thing is that if Bundy hadn’t said everything he said about race, he probably would be at the Republican Leadership Council. Because everything prior to what he said and did before that was playing just fine on Fox.

      • Churchlady320

        I suspect everyone at FOX agrees with his statements about The Negro but just can’t own up to it.

  • Ipecac

    This is one of the HUGE differences between Republicans and Democrats. When someone says something (1) crazy, (2) racist, or (3) hateful, Democrats shun them.

    Republicans invite them to be keynote speakers.

  • muselet

    I’ve made this joke before, but it still fits: Was David Duke not available?

    –alopecia

  • Da Dorq

    From Robertson’s quote, this section is what speaks volumes to me about his views on race: “I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash.” The not so subtle implication here is either he thinks being white trash means you’re no better than the lowly blacks or it means he thinks the farmers thought so. Maybe both. Either way, it undermines his overall position that blacks weren’t treated unfairly, whether he realizes it or not. I mean, it suggests that the whites viewed the blacks as inferior, fit only for white trash to work along side of, so what stretch of the imagination does it take to suggest they were treated in an inferior way, also?

    • Churchlady320

      I’ll take a wild guess that he didn’t actually think about what he was saying.

  • j hentai

    when does anything any of these motherfuckers say rebound on them? am i the only one waiting for repercussions for this (and i don’t mean wingnuts saying they’re not wingnutty enough or salon bleating). we can but hope their god lives up to his bullshit.

    • JMAshby

      With over 90 percent of African Americans voting Democratic, I’d say the repercussions are already here. What the GOP is risking now is having 90 percent of Latinos voting Democratic.

      • j hentai

        and women, and smart people. but i’m asking when do those people leave us alone? they’re happy in their bubble, leave us adults alone. p.s. thanks for the attention!

  • glennisw

    It’s hilarious that he said “no one was singing the blues.”

    Right, Phil. They were singing lieder.

  • trgahan

    Funny what conservative white males who never in their own lives (or the lives of their ancestors) experienced what southern African Americans experienced up to and through the late-1960’s “know” about the offending demographic and their experience. Especially since they either never or rarely interact with said demographic.

    This former nobody being asking to speak at a Republican political gathering is, of course, in NO way reflective of a potential racist attitude of the party. In fact, to them, I’m the real racist for even pointing any of this out….

  • Churchlady320

    It suddenly occurred to me that not only is Ryan despicably racist, he’s flat out ignorant of his own party’s ‘welfare’ policy. Newt and company ended lifetime welfare, and no one can get more than 5 years and then if and only if they are families. So not only does he know nothing of Black people (not a huge surprise) but he apparently still thinks we have AFDC that did more to get people OUT of poverty than the GOP plan that just grinds people up and out as poor as they went in. But nope – no welfare mentality because, well, no welfare.

  • Kit

    Bob Cesca is a moron. Anyone who reads his babble is only interested in fiction because he makes things up as he goes along. Any journalist knows that you cannot just make misquotes of interviews to suite your agenda. You are supposed to give an accurate quote and then place your perspective into it. That is your voice, not the quote itself. Irresponsible ignoramus. Take down your fantacy-driven articles!!!

  • Kit

    Knowing Cesca’s view of “informing” people, this quote was also likely twisted to suite his desire to cut people down. Don’t believe anyone spinning tales on this site.