RNC Pushing Isolated Debate Format

It appears that the NRC has finally realized their presidential primary debates make the party look like a bunch of lunatics.

They are lunatics, but why make it easier for the public to see that? The RNC is moving to limit the number of primary debates, but they’re also making a big mistake in the process.

At a meeting in Memphis, the RNC approved creating a committee to decide which debates candidates can participate in and which media organizations will be involved, including involving more conservative journalists in the process.

Candidates who violate the rules and participate in other debates will be barred from future ones, a major disincentive.

Limiting the number of primary debates is probably a smart move, but further isolating themselves by picking “conservative journalists” and presumably conservative media to conduct them is a recipe for a fact-free clown show.

Not that I’m necessarily complaining. I’m sure it will be very amusing, but the quality and relevance of the questions asked and the quality of the audience in attendance will almost certainly nosedive if the debates are moderated by the likes of only hardcore conservative media like Fox News, The Daily Caller, or the National Review.

There’s also an ethical dilemma.

Will staunchly partisan “conservative journalists” call candidates out when they misrepresent the truth? Will those so-called journalists even know what the truth is?

This entry was posted in Election 2016, Elections and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Nefercat

    “On with the show, this is it!”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-t8PngHgWY

    Edit: Oops, I didn’t know it would show the video right in the comment.

  • Christopher Foxx

    It appears that the NRC has finally realized their presidential primary debates make the party look like a bunch of lunatics

    It took a scientific study to figure that out? :-)

  • Christopher Foxx

    but the quality and relevance of the questions asked and the quality of the audience in attendance will almost certainly nosedive

    I think that may be the goal.

  • muselet

    Steve Benen made an interesting point this morning:

    [L]et’s not forget the Republican National Committee’s own autopsy following the party’s 2012 losses:

    “The Republican Party needs to stop talking to itself. We have become expert in how to provide ideological reinforcement to like-minded people, but devastatingly we have lost the ability to be persuasive with, or welcoming to, those who do not agree with us on every issue.”

    Two years later, the same party that published this has decided to talk to itself more, not less, in the next national cycle.

    Keep going, Republicans. You’re doing great.

    –alopecia

  • j hentai

    in answer to your questions: no, and no.

  • UnsaltedSinner

    “Senator, next question: Ronald Reagan — greatest president ever or greatest human being who ever lived?”