The Chinese Government Thanks You, Edward Snowden

Last week the Department of Justice charged a team of Chinese hackers with hacking into American companies to steal technology and trade secrets.

The Chinese government has now responded by citing Edward Snowden.

“America’s spying operations have gone far beyond the legal rationale of ‘anti-terrorism’ and have exposed the ugly face of its pursuit of self-interest in complete disregard for moral integrity,” the agency said. “As such, they deserved to be rejected and condemned by the whole world.”

Who wrote it? The Chinese or Glenn Greenwald?

“America must provide explanations for its surveillance activities, cease spying operations that seriously infringe upon human rights, and refrain from causing stress and antagonism in global cyber space,” the agency said in its report, called “America’s Global Surveillance Record.”

I actually laughed while reading this.

Glenn Greenwald recently revealed information about a program used to combat human trafficking in the Caribbean based on documents given to him by Snowden. Is the U.S. infringing on the “human rights” of slave traders?

It appears Saint Glenn and the Chinese have equal reverence for “human rights.”

It’s no secret that the Chinese are notorious hackers. Their notoriety reached Congress in recent years when suspicions about the Chinese telecommunications company Huawei squashed government contracts and acquisitions of U.S. companies.

This entry was posted in China, Epic Fail, Glenn Greenwald, NSA and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    There’s something almost charming about the government of China prissily denouncing another country’s “pursuit of self-interest in complete disregard for moral integrity.” It’s a little like a mugger complaining about street crime.

    –alopecia

  • Badgerite

    Seriously. In his NPR interview, Greenwald was parroting Putin’s line as to how Russia could not possibly compete with the US in terms of digital surveillance. Or Putin was parroting his. It is hard to tell. It isn’t just that Snowden relied on Russia as a place to seek asylum that would actually give it to him. It is that most of his ‘revelations’ (and I mean almost all of it) has to do not with anything about surveillance of US citizens but almost all has to do with international surveillance (spying) that does not violate the US Constitution, the mandates of Congress or the sentiments of the American public.

    • HilaryB

      I knew this guy was a fraud when the story first broke. I do not understand why people keep referring to him as an American hero.

      • Mike Lumisch

        If you want to see a lunatic gang of hysterical ninnies planting sloppy wet kisses all over their hero Snowden, just boogie on over to Atrios’s place or the Daily Kos. The Greenwald sycophants are piddling themselves like little doggies at how manly and brave little Eddie was on the tee vee, gloating over how important he is as a great big professional spy and gnashing their teeth that anyone would be so mean as to dismiss him as a lowly IT worker.

        (spit) It turns my stomach to see alleged Americans behave in such a craven fashion.

      • Badgerite

        The way it was first reported was ridiculous. I sometimes think not just Greenwald, but Snowden as well, had no real idea as to what was going on in the NSA and just took leaps of imagination to whole new levels and reported it as if it were true. If you look at the story now, verses the story as it was reported then, it has completely changed. And the focus is almost exclusively on US spying abroad. What was initially reported about spying at home, or at least the way it was reported, has been proven untrue. It is a classified program, in that the details are not to be divulged in public. But it is hardly ‘secret’, since it is based on legislation and court warrants. Their way around that fact is to maintain that that legislative mandate and oversight are ‘rubber stamp’ even when there is made public a court decision that says it surely is not. They turn that around and claim it shows NSA abuse. Which is ridiculous. It is a heads I win, tails you lose argument. The programs of the NSA operate under legislative mandate, with FISA Court oversight and to claim that that is all meaningless rubber stamp is to overlook a whole lot of established history. Like the fact that one of the re-authorizations of the program that the law required even under the wild west conditions of the Bush administration, led to a rebellion of DOJ and FBI personnel so serious that the inner circle of the Bush administration and the NSA had to back down. I just don’t see how the United States can be the one power in the world that handicaps its intelligence and law enforcement services with respect to international threats.

  • trgahan

    I seem to remember saying back when Snowden emerged in Hong Kong that one outcome of his actions would be providing absolution to human rights abusing governments like China from actually having to clean up their own acts.

    Snowden’s and Greenwald et al.’s continued “The U.S. IS the only one acting in bad faith in all this!” cognitive dissidence parading as “principled” argument is only further giving a pass for the actual actions of actual abusive regimes.